Expedition gas mileage

Old March 7th 05, 01:12 PM

Default Expedition gas mileage

We just had our second child. I have an 89 f150 that I am thinking of
getting rid of and getting somehting that can haul the kids around once
in a while.

I want something I can at least pull a dual axle trailer with.

I like expeditions but with gas going up I was wondering what type of
mileage they got. I drive about 50 miles a day 5 days a week.

Old March 7th 05, 11:40 PM
James C. Reeves

http://xpog.com/mailman/listinfo/expedition_xpog.com .

> Ed

I don't know many people with the Expedition/Navigator (and I know a few)
that do much better than 12MPG-13MPG mixed mileage with 16MPG tops for
highway.

Old March 8th 05, 05:31 AM
C. E. White

"James C. Reeves" > wrote in message

> I don't know many people with the Expedition/Navigator (and I know a few)
> that do much better than 12MPG-13MPG mixed mileage with 16MPG tops for
> highway.

Well I checked my records, and it appears I added 1 mpg to my Expedition
averages (optimism?). I've kept a log book for several of the vehicle I've
owned over the last 20 years or so. Here are my averages for a variety of
vehicles (uncorrected for odometer errors or varying driving patterns):

1986 Sable 3.0L- 139,000 miles - 22.3 mpg
1992 Ford F150 4.9L 2WD- 97,000 miles - 16.1 mpg (only used around my farm
for last 8 years)
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L 4WD- 33,000 miles - 17.1 mpg
1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4X4 - 147,000 miles - 14.1 mpg
2001 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6L 39,000 - 20.8 mpg
2003 Saturn Vue 2.2L AWD- 29,000 miles - 21.8 mpg
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4X4 - 69,000 - 14.8 mpg
2004 Ford Thunderbird 3.9L - 6,000 miles - 23.7 mpg

For the 2003 Expedition my best single tank average was 18.1 mpg. The worst
single tank average was 10.9. My best 5 tank average was 16.1 mpg. My worst
5 tank average was 13.5 mpg. The fuel computer on the 2003 is not
particularly accurate, but it indicates that the mileage drops from around
18 to around 16 when driving at a steady speed on a flat road as the speed
increases from 60 to 75. I sometimes tow a 21 foot sailboat. It makes very
little difference in the mileage (maybe 1 mpg), but the boat is fairly light
(2000 lbs or so). It does have a lot of "windage" (it is considerably
taller and wider than the Expedition). However, I rarely tow the sailboat on
the interstate at high speeds.

Members of the Expedition owners mailing list report mileage figures all
over the lot, but there are several that claim much better than mine.

Regards,

Ed White

Old March 8th 05, 09:36 PM

Did you like your expedition?