97 Cabrio coolant leak

Old November 2nd 05, 02:37 PM

Default 97 Cabrio coolant leak

I hardly ever post - I just search for help I need, solve my problem,
and move on.

Well, I figured I'd follow-up this time. My wife's 97 Cabrio had a very
slow coolant leak for awhile, with no visible signs of it leaking. It
finally got worse until one day it started a fast drip onto the
driveway until the resevoir was empty.

I knew it wasn't the water pump because it was the opposite side, so I
did a quick search on google groups (after taking off and inspecting
all the hoses) and found a post about the coolant housing (where all
the hoses go into the crankcase) being the common culprit as it is made
of plastic. I took it off and sure enough - it was cracked in two
places allowing coolant to leak into the o-ring cavity and out the
side. We didn't see the leak at first because I'm sure it just burnt
off on the side of the engine.

Local auto stores didn't have the part, but I found it online quite
easily for under $8. (autodoctors have good prices and reasonable
shipping).

Well, that's it. Hope this will help someone as the earlier post helped
me.

tom

Old November 3rd 05, 10:20 AM
SFC

It's a very common problem. I had to replace both (cracked) water
connections on my g60. They are cheap which could indicate that it happens a
lot.

SFC

> schreef in bericht
ups.com...
>I hardly ever post - I just search for help I need, solve my problem,
> and move on.
>
> Well, I figured I'd follow-up this time. My wife's 97 Cabrio had a very
> slow coolant leak for awhile, with no visible signs of it leaking. It
> finally got worse until one day it started a fast drip onto the
> driveway until the resevoir was empty.
>
> I knew it wasn't the water pump because it was the opposite side, so I
> did a quick search on google groups (after taking off and inspecting
> all the hoses) and found a post about the coolant housing (where all
> the hoses go into the crankcase) being the common culprit as it is made
> of plastic. I took it off and sure enough - it was cracked in two
> places allowing coolant to leak into the o-ring cavity and out the
> side. We didn't see the leak at first because I'm sure it just burnt
> off on the side of the engine.
>
> Local auto stores didn't have the part, but I found it online quite
> easily for under $8. (autodoctors have good prices and reasonable
> shipping).
>
> Well, that's it. Hope this will help someone as the earlier post helped
> me.
>
> tom

Coolant Leak. On & Off Richard Ford Mustang 3 August 8th 05 03:57 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors 4x4 4 January 23rd 05 06:06 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Coolant leak help... Quattro Audi 3 June 7th 04 10:24 PM