Plain key sticks in lock? Starting the car without a chip?

Old September 12th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Plain key sticks in lock? Starting the car without a chip?

I got a key made for my car at Home Depot and the guy who made them
insisted that, since the key had no chip, t the ignition lock could
grab the key and not let it out. Any truth to that for some cars?

He also said the door could do the same thing? Any truth to that?

Mostly I wanted a cheap key to open the doors and the turnk if I lock
my keys inside** but 3 years ago I lost 3 keys in one year, and if I
do that again, I keep thinking that I could defeat the "immobilizer"
that requires the key with the chip? Any chance of that?

The shop manual isn't much help. It shows 3 wires to the engine
computer (from the chip amplifier), and seems to imply the voltage on
one or more has a certain wave shape.

Thanks

**I did lock my keys inside my trunk once, when partially changing
clothes before going tubing. Had to ask a girl to drive me 20 miles
home and 20 miles back for spare keys.

Old September 12th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
willameena

On Sep 12, 12:03*pm, micky > wrote:
> I got a key made for my car at Home Depot *and the guy who made them
> insisted that, since the key had no chip, t the ignition lock could
> grab the key and not let it out. * *Any truth to that for some cars?
>
> He also said the door could do the same thing? *Any truth to that?

No to both.
Old September 12th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

micky wrote:
> I got a key made for my car at Home Depot and the guy who made them
> insisted that, since the key had no chip, t the ignition lock could
> grab the key and not let it out. Any truth to that for some cars?

Nope. Unless the key is cut wrong and gets jammed on a tumbler.

> He also said the door could do the same thing? Any truth to that?
>

> Mostly I wanted a cheap key to open the doors and the turnk if I lock
> my keys inside** but 3 years ago I lost 3 keys in one year, and if I
> do that again, I keep thinking that I could defeat the "immobilizer"
> that requires the key with the chip? Any chance of that?

Depends on the car and which system it has. Many of the early (up to
about 2000 or so) systems used a simple resistor in the key and those
could be bypassed. Many of the new units use an RF chip in the key that
gets read by the ECM through an antenna in the ignition switch. Those
cannot be defeated easily without making the vehicle VERY easy to steal.

> The shop manual isn't much help. It shows 3 wires to the engine
> computer (from the chip amplifier), and seems to imply the voltage on
> one or more has a certain wave shape.

What Year/Make/Model/Trans?

--
Steve W.
Old September 16th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:29:37 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> I got a key made for my car at Home Depot and the guy who made them
>> insisted that, since the key had no chip, t the ignition lock could
>> grab the key and not let it out. Any truth to that for some cars?

>Nope. Unless the key is cut wrong and gets jammed on a tumbler.

Thanks. And thanks Willameena.

>> He also said the door could do the same thing? Any truth to that?
>>

>> Mostly I wanted a cheap key to open the doors and the turnk if I lock
>> my keys inside** but 3 years ago I lost 3 keys in one year, and if I
>> do that again, I keep thinking that I could defeat the "immobilizer"
>> that requires the key with the chip? Any chance of that?

>Depends on the car and which system it has. Many of the early (up to
>about 2000 or so) systems used a simple resistor in the key and those
>could be bypassed. Many of the new units use an RF chip in the key that
>gets read by the ECM through an antenna in the ignition switch. Those
>cannot be defeated easily without making the vehicle VERY easy to steal.

Yeah, I think I have the chip. I had in the back of my mind that if
the remote starters don't need a chip, than I can do whatever they
do. But it turns out, you have to provide a spare key for the remote
starter, and I guess the "bypass" is a second antenna witha second
chip amplifier. It's not cold enough where I live to have a remote
starter, but I could get the same effect as carrying a remote starter
fob by carrying a non-chip door or trunk key and hiding a chip key
deep in the car somewhere.

>> The shop manual isn't much help. It shows 3 wires to the engine
>> computer (from the chip amplifier), and seems to imply the voltage on
>> one or more has a certain wave shape.

>What Year/Make/Model/Trans?

2000 Toyota Solara, not sure of the transmission.

>> Thanks
>>
>> **I did lock my keys inside my trunk once, when partially changing
>> clothes before going tubing. Had to ask a girl to drive me 20 miles
>> home and 20 miles back for spare keys.

OT - Key, need some info on lock changes on car Tom in Missouri Corvette 3 January 11th 08 10:45 PM
Use Key Chip To Locate Key Dick[_1_] Honda 2 July 11th 07 04:54 PM
'96 Caprice w/ignition key chip:CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DIACONNECT Raymond A. Miller General 1 August 27th 06 11:11 PM
Ignition Key Sticks JR Chrysler 1 January 15th 06 11:30 PM
Ignition Key Sticks JR Chrysler 3 January 15th 06 03:10 PM