Wanna get my 1st vette, need advice!!!

Old October 21st 04, 03:42 AM
HighOnFire

Default Wanna get my 1st vette, need advice!!!

Hi all, I'm new here but hoping for some advice. I'm thinking of buying a
numbers matching '74 vette 4-speed. It has a strong newly rebuilt 383 with
no expense spared. It also has the original engine almost ready to go. New
front & rear bumpers, bushings & bearings everywhere needed, no leaks, or
cracks in the body. Good paint, new exhaust & tires. New interior (seat
covers, carpet & such) The dash & gauge cluster looks new. New radiator that
is not installed yet so I couldn't drive it but he started it & it sounded
great. The reason he's selling & didn't finish restoring it is that he had a
botched surgery done that messed up the nerves in his foot & it's getting
progressivly worse, poor guy. I have never had a vette before & was just
wondering what to look out for & if they're prone to have any "bugs" in
them. He's looking to get $6000 for it. How does that sound. Any advice is
appreciated. I think I trust the guy & believe that he was really doing this
car up right. Also the undercarrige is immaculate with no rust anywhere.

Thanks,
Chris

Old October 21st 04, 03:56 AM
Dad

"HighOnFire" > wrote in message
> Hi all, I'm new here but hoping for some advice. I'm thinking of buying a
> numbers matching '74 vette 4-speed. It has a strong newly rebuilt 383 with
> no expense spared. It also has the original engine almost ready to go. New
> front & rear bumpers, bushings & bearings everywhere needed, no leaks, or
> cracks in the body. Good paint, new exhaust & tires. New interior (seat
> covers, carpet & such) The dash & gauge cluster looks new. New radiator
> that
> is not installed yet so I couldn't drive it but he started it & it sounded
> great. The reason he's selling & didn't finish restoring it is that he had
> botched surgery done that messed up the nerves in his foot & it's getting
> progressivly worse, poor guy. I have never had a vette before & was just
> wondering what to look out for & if they're prone to have any "bugs" in
> them. He's looking to get $6000 for it. How does that sound. Any advice is
> appreciated. I think I trust the guy & believe that he was really doing
> this
> car up right. Also the undercarrige is immaculate with no rust anywhere.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Sounds like a "Go for it" type of Corvette.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness,

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 21st 04, 03:56 AM
Dad

Old October 21st 04, 11:36 AM
Bob G.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:42:06 -0500, "HighOnFire" >
wrote:

>Hi all, I'm new here but hoping for some advice. I'm thinking of buying a
>numbers matching '74 vette 4-speed. It has a strong newly rebuilt 383 with
>no expense spared. It also has the original engine almost ready to go. New
>front & rear bumpers, bushings & bearings everywhere needed, no leaks, or
>cracks in the body. Good paint, new exhaust & tires. New interior (seat
>covers, carpet & such) The dash & gauge cluster looks new. New radiator that
>is not installed yet so I couldn't drive it but he started it & it sounded
>great. The reason he's selling & didn't finish restoring it is that he had a
>botched surgery done that messed up the nerves in his foot & it's getting
>progressivly worse, poor guy. I have never had a vette before & was just
>wondering what to look out for & if they're prone to have any "bugs" in
>them. He's looking to get $6000 for it. How does that sound. Any advice is
>appreciated. I think I trust the guy & believe that he was really doing this
>car up right. Also the undercarrige is immaculate with no rust anywhere.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

=====================================

Something just does not sound right... with the original engine I
guess it could be sold for a numbers matching car (but who really
cares...)

Your discription of the car honestly just does not "fit" the asking
price... IF everything you said is true... I have a strong feeling the
car was sold yesterday...

Bob Griffiths

Old October 21st 04, 11:36 AM
Bob G.

=====================================

Old October 21st 04, 02:52 PM
CardsFan

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:42:06 -0500, "HighOnFire" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all, I'm new here but hoping for some advice. I'm thinking of buying a
> >numbers matching '74 vette 4-speed. It has a strong newly rebuilt 383

with
> >no expense spared. It also has the original engine almost ready to go.

New
> >front & rear bumpers, bushings & bearings everywhere needed, no leaks, or
> >cracks in the body. Good paint, new exhaust & tires. New interior (seat
> >covers, carpet & such) The dash & gauge cluster looks new. New radiator

that
> >is not installed yet so I couldn't drive it but he started it & it

sounded
> >great. The reason he's selling & didn't finish restoring it is that he

had a
> >botched surgery done that messed up the nerves in his foot & it's getting
> >progressivly worse, poor guy. I have never had a vette before & was just
> >wondering what to look out for & if they're prone to have any "bugs" in
> >them. He's looking to get $6000 for it. How does that sound. Any advice

is
> >appreciated. I think I trust the guy & believe that he was really doing

this
> >car up right. Also the undercarrige is immaculate with no rust anywhere.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Chris
> >

> =====================================
>
> Something just does not sound right... with the original engine I
> guess it could be sold for a numbers matching car (but who really
> cares...)
>
> Your discription of the car honestly just does not "fit" the asking
> price... IF everything you said is true... I have a strong feeling the
> car was sold yesterday...
>
> Bob Griffiths

I have to agree with you, Bob. The price and the description don't match,
but if it is true I'd have a cashier's check in hand and go directly to the
seller's house. For 6 grand it's a pretty small risk.

AJM

Old October 21st 04, 02:52 PM
CardsFan

Old October 21st 04, 04:05 PM
Diode

CardsFan spoke thusly:

> I have to agree with you, Bob. The price and the description don't match,

I'm with you guys...A mostly restored 74 with a stroker AND the original
motor for 6 grand...sumpins up...

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old October 21st 04, 04:05 PM
Diode

CardsFan spoke thusly:

Old October 22nd 04, 08:37 PM
Donald Rogers

I've seen junkers going for that price here in Quebec province,The major
points to check are the frame and body frame/windshield frame,but they are
easily repairable,at a reasonable cost.I would jump on the deal ASAP or even
faster.
Have fun
Donald
'76 stingray