Dumb Question....

Old February 3rd 05, 11:43 PM
cassie

Default Dumb Question....

I have a 2000 Mazda Miata. I see references to MK I, MK II and MX-5.

Can someone tell me what the differences are? And if they would know
what I have (i.e. can you tell by the year or is there other
differences).

I know its a dumb question, but I thought I'd take a chance and
ask....

Thanks

Old February 3rd 05, 11:53 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-02-03, cassie > wrote:

> I have a 2000 Mazda Miata. I see references to MK I, MK II and MX-5.

MX-5 is the model name of the car everywhere except the US
(Miata) and Japan (Eunos).

I've never seen references to MK I and MK II, but I'm guessing
they rever to the two body styles pre-1998 and post-1998. I
find those are more often called M1 and M2 (which I guess are
obvious) or NA and NB (which are the two model ID digits from
the VIN).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR
at makes LONI ANDERSON'S
Old February 4th 05, 12:26 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
cassie > wrote:

> I see references to MK I, MK II and MX-5.

MX-5 is another name for Miata. Only North American MX-5s are badged as
Miatas. In most of the rest of the world, they're all MX-5. In Japan,
it's called the Eunos Roadster. Many used Japanese cars find their way
to Australia, the UK, and other places where they need left hand drive.

The original body style, with pop-up headlights, is sometimes known as
the M1. The official Mazda model designation is NA.

The newer style, like yours, is the NB model, sometimes known as the M2.

The terms Mk. I and Mk. II never caught on, and don't have any
standardized meaning.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old February 4th 05, 05:08 PM
gixer

> it's called the Eunos Roadster. Many used Japanese cars find their way
> to Australia, the UK, and other places where they need left hand drive.

Japanese, UK, Hong Kong, Australasia and I think South Africa cars are
actually Right hand drive mate,
We drive on the left (the right way though)

Old February 4th 05, 06:38 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >, "gixer" >
wrote:

> > it's called the Eunos Roadster. Many used Japanese cars find their way
> > to Australia, the UK, and other places where they need left hand drive.

> Japanese, UK, Hong Kong, Australasia and I think South Africa cars are
> actually Right hand drive mate,

Oops, brain fade. You are, of course, correct. I should've said,
"...where they drive on the wrong side of the road." :-)

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old February 5th 05, 02:43 PM
cassie

Thanks for your answers. Much appreciated. Guess maybe it wasn't
such a dumb question after all?

again, thanks