88 toyota pickup 22re question

Old September 5th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

Default 88 toyota pickup 22re question

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:21:19 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> yeah, i have that one figured out - it's #2 on my list. it's a
>>> thermistor that the ecu uses for coolant temp measurement. it works fine.
>>>
>>> but there's supposed to be another, called "SWITCH, TEMPERATURE; SWITCH,
>>> TEMPERATURE DETECT, NO.2". it's a switch that remains open below 50C,
>>> then closes when hot. it's supposed to signal the ecu as part of the
>>> emissions/overdrive control.
>>>
>>> <http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=348529&ukey_produc t=2411848>
>>>
>>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6104875638>

>> Have you managed to figure this out yet?

> not yet. still going backwards and forwards on what 89428-20050 is
> supposed to look like.
>

>> Unfortunately my 22R experience
>> is limited, and I had W59 transmissions. No AT sensor required.
>>
>> Looking over the diagrams, you could just wire a switch in there...
>>
>> When the engine gets up to temp, flip the switch.

> yeah, i've been thinking about that. i'd rather have it working
> properly though. if i do anything invasive, it'll be to upgrade the
> whole retarded management system. the 88's batch injection is /really/
> primitive. [i don't get batch injection - may as well just do throttle
> body.]
>
> and toyota's "documentation" SUCKS.

Nuts. The drill downs on the OEM parts sites used to include diagrams, but
don't seem to any more.

I think what you're looking for is termed Temp sending unit, supra,
switch

It's listed as "Supra" across the spectrum.

It looks like this http://wzops.cn/showpt.aspx?id=61

And that's the one I broke while preparing to remove the head from my
Supra...