hard drive in car raidio?

Old September 3rd 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
micky

Default hard drive in car raidio?

Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.

I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:

Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
car.)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qcA9OPyofDUJ:www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/ren/+chrysler+radio+usb&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=la ng_iw|lang_es|lang_en
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iHHy7jmC-f0J:www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/rer/+chrysler+radio+usb&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=la ng_iw|lang_es|lang_en

Hard Disc Drive Operation
Copy Complete Audio Disc To Hard-Drive

Press the OPEN/CLOSE hard-key and insert a disc, then press the
MENU hard-key.
Touch the MY FILES soft-key, then select MY MUSIC.
Touch the IMPORT MUSIC soft-key, then touch the FROM DISC soft-key
in the next screen to start the process.

Copying From USB

Insert a USB device, then select MY MUSIC.
Touch the IMPORT MUSIC FILES soft-key, then touch the FROM USB
soft-key in the next screen.
Select the folders or titles you would like to copy, then touch
the DONE soft-key to start the copy process.

Copy Pictures To The Hard-Drive

Insert either a CD or a USB device containing your pictures.
Touch the MY FILES soft-key, then go to the MANAGE MY FILES
screen.
Touch the MY PICTURES soft-key to get an overview of the currently
stored images.
Touch one of the ADD PICTURES soft-keys, then select the type of
media inserted.
Use the PAGE soft-keys to page through a list of pictures and
press the picture you would like to import.
Confirm your selection by touching the YES soft-key. The imported
picture is now available in the MANAGE MY PICTURES screen.
In order to display the imported picture in the radio screen,
touch the desired picture soft-key.
Select this picture by pressing the PICTURE VIEW soft-key. A
checkmark indicates the currently used picture.

AND WHY DO YOU NEED TO STORE PICTURES IN YOUR CAR RADIO? SHOULDN'T IT
STORE SOUNDS?

And aren't people going to crash when they do all this while driving?
Old September 3rd 11, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
hachiroku

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:04:30 -0400, micky wrote:

> Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.
>
> I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
> input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:
>
> Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
> internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
> bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
> car.)
>

> AND WHY DO YOU NEED TO STORE PICTURES IN YOUR CAR RADIO? SHOULDN'T IT
> STORE SOUNDS?
>
> And aren't people going to crash when they do all this while driving?

TomToms have the ability to store music nd pictures as well.

I suppose you could store pix to show them to your guests.

As far as doing it while driving, I would recommend doing it while parked
in your driveway. But it doesn't look any more complicated than any other
normal radio operation. Do you stop the vehicle to change radio stations?

Old September 3rd 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
hls

"hachiroku" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:04:30 -0400, micky wrote:
>

>> Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.
>>
>> I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
>> input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:
>>
>> Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
>> internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
>> bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
>> car.)

My sister has a new Panasonic radio in her SUV, and it has a
slot for a flash drive externally. It has no hard drive internally.

There may be many variations in what is available.

Old September 4th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
Reed

On 9/3/11 2:04 PM, micky wrote:

> Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.
>
> I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
> input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:
>
> Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
> internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
> bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
> car.)

<SNIP>

Some GM cars have hard drives. They work like a DVR.

Buick had a TV commercial awhile back hyping their 40MB drive.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/gm...o-feature.html
Old September 4th 11, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
micky

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:00:33 -0400, Reed > wrote:

>On 9/3/11 2:04 PM, micky wrote:
>>
>> Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.
>>
>> I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
>> input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:
>>
>> Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
>> internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
>> bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
>> car.)
>>

><SNIP>
>
>Some GM cars have hard drives. They work like a DVR.
>
>Buick had a TV commercial awhile back hyping their 40MB drive.

Wow, that's amazing. Although couldn't they just put in an 8 gig
flash drive instread, 200 times as big. I know flash dirives wear
out, or used to, so they could make it a replaceable part. Hard
drives wear out too, even if they don't crash from going over bumpy
roads.

>http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/gm...o-feature.html

Thanks.

This says it records 20 minutes. However 20 minutes is not enough. I
woudl want 55, because sometimes I listed to the first part of an hour
show, usually on NPR, and want to record the rest. Usually that's
only 20 or 40 minutes but it could be 55.

**I learned today that talk raido takes about 500K/minute, and mustic
several times as much, but they may have only one sampling rate.

I've actually wanted this for decades, and I wanted casette decks in
cars to akso recird what was on the radio. It would have been easy
enough, but I shopped and never found someone who made it.

JCWhitney did sell a dual cassette car radio, which I thought was as
stupid as saving pictures in current car radios. Someone is going to
save his tape copying until he's in the car!! He won't leave his
blank tapes at home, etc. . I'm sure one deck recorded, but it
didn't actually say it would record off the radio, and certainly not
that it had a timer that would record after the car was turned off.
Plus it had no station buttons etc, so much space was used for the
second deck.

NPR makes some little device that you click on,, and it saves the time
you want to start playing when you get to a compute, from which it
figures out the name of the program, but it only saves two times, and
you could just write down the program and the time, plus you have to
contribute a lot of money to get one.
Old September 4th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
micky

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 15:26:48 -0500, hachiroku >
wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:04:30 -0400, micky wrote:
>

>> Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.
>>
>> I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb
>> input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:
>>
>> Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an
>> internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car
>> bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the
>> car.)
>>

>> AND WHY DO YOU NEED TO STORE PICTURES IN YOUR CAR RADIO? SHOULDN'T IT
>> STORE SOUNDS?
>>
>> And aren't people going to crash when they do all this while driving?

>TomToms have the ability to store music nd pictures as well.
>
>I suppose you could store pix to show them to your guests.
>
>As far as doing it while driving, I would recommend doing it while parked
>in your driveway.

Me too, but I bet some people will ignore us.

> But it doesn't look any more complicated than any other
>normal radio operation. Do you stop the vehicle to change radio stations?

No but that's a lot simpler than than the procedures snipped.
Old September 4th 11, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
hachiroku

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:42:13 -0400, micky wrote:

> I've actually wanted this for decades, and I wanted casette decks in
> cars to akso recird what was on the radio.

Too late:

1972:

A new audio option became available for 1971: Chrysler's
Cassette-Recorder. Unlike the 8-Track tapes, the cassette player was
relatively compact, and it was mounted on the console or on its own
floor-mount casing. This unit offered an available microphone in which one
could record their own dictation.
Old September 4th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
hls

"hachiroku" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:42:13 -0400, micky wrote:
>

>> I've actually wanted this for decades, and I wanted casette decks in
>> cars to akso recird what was on the radio.

> Too late:
>
> 1972:
>
> A new audio option became available for 1971: Chrysler's
> Cassette-Recorder. Unlike the 8-Track tapes, the cassette player was
> relatively compact, and it was mounted on the console or on its own
> floor-mount casing. This unit offered an available microphone in which one
> could record their own dictation.

I had one of those in a SAAB almost a decade later than that.
Trying to give dictation while driving is much like using a
cell phone. One's attention to driving is, to some degree or another,
distracted.

Old September 4th 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ALT.COMP.HARDWARE
hachiroku

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 08:19:15 -0500, hls wrote:

> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:42:13 -0400, micky wrote:
>>

>>> I've actually wanted this for decades, and I wanted casette decks in
>>> cars to akso recird what was on the radio.

>> Too late:
>>
>> 1972:
>>
>> A new audio option became available for 1971: Chrysler's
>> Cassette-Recorder. Unlike the 8-Track tapes, the cassette player was
>> relatively compact, and it was mounted on the console or on its own
>> floor-mount casing. This unit offered an available microphone in which one
>> could record their own dictation.

> I had one of those in a SAAB almost a decade later than that.
> Trying to give dictation while driving is much like using a
> cell phone. One's attention to driving is, to some degree or another,
> distracted.

I have taken to installing a hands-free device of one sort or another in
all the cars I use for 'work' (um, basically all of them...). i have an
add on Motorola unit in my Mazda, but the Scion can't have crap hanging
off the dash so that got a head unit with a bluetooth add-on hidden in the
dash.

It's not much worse than talking to someone in the car. And I use the
phone as much as the car. Matter of fact, if not for my job, I might not
even HAVE a phone!

After using a HF device for a while, I can't STAND having to handle the
phone while driving!