Help: 2005 XLT Gas Gauge

Old June 4th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TJN

Default Help: 2005 XLT Gas Gauge

The gas gauge on my 2005 Explorer XLT goes dead... below empty!
There are at least 2 service bulletins released about this matter, but I'm
at a loss for the solution, other than a trip to the dealer. I discovered
yesterday that the gauge responds if the tank is half full or less. If the
tank is over half filled, I loose the gauge. I suspect a bad connection
somewhere, but I'm running out of possibilities.
Can anyone shed light on the half tank/ full tank correlation? Or the fix?
Thanks for your attention.

Old June 4th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:29:00 -0500, "TJN" >
wrote:

>The gas gauge on my 2005 Explorer XLT goes dead... below empty!
>There are at least 2 service bulletins released about this matter, but I'm
>at a loss for the solution, other than a trip to the dealer. I discovered
>yesterday that the gauge responds if the tank is half full or less. If the
>tank is over half filled, I loose the gauge. I suspect a bad connection
>somewhere, but I'm running out of possibilities.
>Can anyone shed light on the half tank/ full tank correlation? Or the fix?
>Thanks for your attention.

Just a WAG, but that sounds like a sender problem to me.

Can you find the text for the service bulletins? That may well give
you a clue as to the problem and a solution.
Old June 5th 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Not a WAG but something I have seen.... we have replaced a half dozen
clusters or better for fuel gauge concerns in the last two or three years.
Word of advice....proper testing should ALWAYS be performed before we give
ourselves the chance to say "**** ME" .