brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 14th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.

Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.

The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
bucks! I thought it's a little high because I was expecting at most 100
(don't ask me why I came up with my 100$ estimate - it's just that I
thought nothing fancy is needed.) Granted, I am a auto-dummy with very
very little idea about cars. But still!!

The quote mentioned what they will do for the 400$.
1) resurface the break rotors
2) remove & replace brake pads (FRONT)
3) clean and adjust rear drum brake (LABOR only)
4) 45 point brake inspection! - lot of items listed on the quote
5) brake flush package - lot of items listed on the quote

Is 400$ justified and necessary to fix the brake squeal? I was told
that brake pads need to be replaced but I called another shop and they
said they charge 140$ for the brake pads. But maybe there is more to
the squeal than just the brake pads.

Regardless, I will have to get this problem fixed because Idon't want
to take chance with the brake pads. I will get this done in a week.

In the mean time, I appreciate any advise you may have ...

TIA,
Tian