04 caravan 3.8 L stalling

Old December 28th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

Default 04 caravan 3.8 L stalling

04 caravan 3.8 L (~ 85K) stalling (engine dies) after fill up. Restarts
on the fits hit but continues to stall every few min. for several miles.
Seems to be related to the full fuel level of the tank. Fill up is to the
first click on the fuel hose and the problem is evident,

If you stop before you get to the full click the stalling does not occur.
Van is on a road trip and I don't have access to the error
codes.

TIA

Old January 2nd 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:10:54 -0600, "NotMe" > wrote:

>04 caravan 3.8 L (~ 85K) stalling (engine dies) after fill up. Restarts
>on the fits hit but continues to stall every few min. for several miles.
>Seems to be related to the full fuel level of the tank. Fill up is to the
>first click on the fuel hose and the problem is evident,
>
>If you stop before you get to the full click the stalling does not occur.
>Van is on a road trip and I don't have access to the error
>codes.
>
>TIA

I have a 2004 Town and Country, and it does the same thing. I have
looked tor an answer and had posted here with hopes of getting an
answer. The following was found at
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_m... l_up_with_gas

Engine stalls several times right after filling tank with gas,
Chrysler Minivan
Shops are reporting a problem with the gas tank on Dodge Caravan,
Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, and Town and Country vans. Shortly
after refueling, drivers experience engine stalling. The stalling may
repeat several times.
The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of
the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from
entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails,
liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister.
After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level.
Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria,
the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the
stored gas vapors. It's at that point that all the liquid gas in the
line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see
gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust
air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see
liquid gas coming into the intake. That's what causes the engine to
stall.
Unfortunately, the ONLY fix is to replace the entire gas tank.
Chrysler does NOT sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. Once
the tank is replaced and the charcoal canister purged, the problem
goes away.

This is all that I have been able to find besides the advice about not
filling up the tank.

Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:10:54 -0600, "NotMe" > wrote:
>
>>04 caravan 3.8 L (~ 85K) stalling (engine dies) after fill up. Restarts
>>on the fits hit but continues to stall every few min. for several miles.
>>Seems to be related to the full fuel level of the tank. Fill up is to the
>>first click on the fuel hose and the problem is evident,
>>
>>If you stop before you get to the full click the stalling does not occur.
>>Van is on a road trip and I don't have access to the error
>>codes.
>>
>>TIA
>>

> I have a 2004 Town and Country, and it does the same thing. I have
> looked tor an answer and had posted here with hopes of getting an
> answer. The following was found at
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_m... l_up_with_gas
>

> Engine stalls several times right after filling tank with gas,
> Chrysler Minivan
> Shops are reporting a problem with the gas tank on Dodge Caravan,
> Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, and Town and Country vans. Shortly
> after refueling, drivers experience engine stalling. The stalling may
> repeat several times.
> The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of
> the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from
> entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails,
> liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister.
> After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level.
> Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria,
> the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the
> stored gas vapors. It's at that point that all the liquid gas in the
> line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see
> gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust
> air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see
> liquid gas coming into the intake. That's what causes the engine to
> stall.
> Unfortunately, the ONLY fix is to replace the entire gas tank.
> Chrysler does NOT sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. Once
> the tank is replaced and the charcoal canister purged, the problem
> goes away.
>
> This is all that I have been able to find besides the advice about not
> filling up the tank.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks, very helpful. Any place detailed info on the vapor/liquid separator
might be found. I could pull the old one and reverse engineer the thing but
no point in reinventing the wheel.

Old January 3rd 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"NotMe" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:10:54 -0600, "NotMe" > wrote:
>>
>>>04 caravan 3.8 L (~ 85K) stalling (engine dies) after fill up.
>>>Restarts
>>>on the fits hit but continues to stall every few min. for several miles.
>>>Seems to be related to the full fuel level of the tank. Fill up is to
>>>the
>>>first click on the fuel hose and the problem is evident,
>>>
>>>If you stop before you get to the full click the stalling does not occur.
>>>Van is on a road trip and I don't have access to the error
>>>codes.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>> I have a 2004 Town and Country, and it does the same thing. I have
>> looked tor an answer and had posted here with hopes of getting an
>> answer. The following was found at
>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_m... l_up_with_gas
>>

>> Engine stalls several times right after filling tank with gas,
>> Chrysler Minivan
>> Shops are reporting a problem with the gas tank on Dodge Caravan,
>> Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, and Town and Country vans. Shortly
>> after refueling, drivers experience engine stalling. The stalling may
>> repeat several times.
>> The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of
>> the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from
>> entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails,
>> liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister.
>> After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level.
>> Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria,
>> the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the
>> stored gas vapors. It's at that point that all the liquid gas in the
>> line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see
>> gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust
>> air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see
>> liquid gas coming into the intake. That's what causes the engine to
>> stall.
>> Unfortunately, the ONLY fix is to replace the entire gas tank.
>> Chrysler does NOT sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. Once
>> the tank is replaced and the charcoal canister purged, the problem
>> goes away.
>>
>> This is all that I have been able to find besides the advice about not
>> filling up the tank.
>>
>> Hope this helps.

> Thanks, very helpful. Any place detailed info on the vapor/liquid
> separator might be found. I could pull the old one and reverse engineer
> the thing but no point in reinventing the wheel.

Tried something this morning just to see what happened. I let the engine
run while I toped off the tank then drove ~ 5 miles and stopped the car for
~10 min. Restarted and drove down the road without incident.

I'm also wondering if I put one of those bowel type (aircraft) fuel filters
in the vent line to the throttle body if the bowel would capture the excess
liquid until it come be vaporized and then sucked into the throttle body.

96 Gr. Caravan Stalling My4Heathens Dodge 2 January 28th 07 02:41 AM
2001 Caravan Stalling CJL Dodge 1 May 24th 05 10:44 PM
2001 Caravan Stalling CJL Dodge 0 May 6th 05 04:11 PM
2001 Caravan Stalling CJL Dodge 0 May 6th 05 04:10 PM
Unpredictable stalling - 97 Caravan 2.4L corky Dodge 10 July 26th 04 05:52 PM