cold start problem

Old December 4th 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

Default cold start problem

hello all,

I have a 91 Plymouth acclaim 2.5L car.

I have a couple of problem. I would like to ask about one of them
here.

When it is cold, sub freezing temperatures, it hesitates at
acceleration at cold starts. i.e. In the mornings, I run the car,
start driving, but when I try to accelerate it hesitates. I take it
easy, and accelerate slowly, it drives fine. After 30 seconds or so
everything becomes normal even on hard acceleration.

What do you think about my problem with my car.

Ulas.
Old December 5th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel who wants to know

"ulas c coskun" > wrote in message
> hello all,
>
> I have a 91 Plymouth acclaim 2.5L car.
>
> I have a couple of problem. I would like to ask about one of them
> here.
>
> When it is cold, sub freezing temperatures, it hesitates at
> acceleration at cold starts. i.e. In the mornings, I run the car,
> start driving, but when I try to accelerate it hesitates. I take it
> easy, and accelerate slowly, it drives fine. After 30 seconds or so
> everything becomes normal even on hard acceleration.
>
> What do you think about my problem with my car.
>
> Ulas.

It is a non-turbo 2.5 then it is throttle body injected so just like a
carbureted engine it has a "wet" intake manifold. The intake has to warm up
before it will run correctly. Make sure the heat stove system is working
properly by pulling the plastic hose off of the airbox and check to see that
the flap inside moves when the engine is started cold. Also make sure the
metal flex tube going from the bottom of the airbox to the exhaust manifold
shroud is intact.

Beyond that you may need to do a tune-up.

DO NOT hotrod (hard accelerate) a 2.2 or 2.5 when it is cold. It is an iron
block aluminum head engine and hotrodding it will blow the head gasket.
Aluminum expands faster than iron and steel so as the engine warms up the
head expands more than the head bolts and increases the clamping force on
the gasket.

My sister cold hotrodded my aunt's '92 Dodge Spirit 2.5 (same car as yours)
taking her back and forth to her doctor's appointments halfway across the
state and blew the head gasket between the #2 and #3 cylinders.

Old January 5th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

On Dec 4 2010, 4:38*pm, "Daniel who wants to know" >
wrote:
> "ulas c coskun" > wrote in ...
>

> > hello all,

> > I have a 91 Plymouth acclaim 2.5L car.

> > I have a couple of problem. I would like to ask about one of them
> > here.

> > When it is cold, sub freezing temperatures, it hesitates at
> > acceleration at cold starts. i.e. In the mornings, I run the car,
> > start driving, but when I try to accelerate it hesitates. I take it
> > easy, and accelerate slowly, it drives fine. After 30 seconds or so
> > everything becomes normal even on hard acceleration.

> > What do you think about my problem with my car.

> > Ulas.

> It is a non-turbo 2.5 then it is throttle body injected so just like a
> carbureted engine it has a "wet" intake manifold. The intake has to warm up
> before it will run correctly. *Make sure the heat stove system is working
> properly by pulling the plastic hose off of the airbox and check to see that
> the flap inside moves when the engine is started cold. *Also make sure the
> metal flex tube going from the bottom of the airbox to the exhaust manifold
> shroud is intact.
>
> Beyond that you may need to do a tune-up.
>
> DO NOT hotrod (hard accelerate) a 2.2 or 2.5 when it is cold. *It is an iron
> block aluminum head engine and hotrodding it will blow the head gasket.
> Aluminum expands faster than iron and steel so as the engine warms up the
> head expands more than the head bolts and increases the clamping force on
> the gasket.
>
> My sister cold hotrodded my aunt's '92 Dodge Spirit 2.5 (same car as yours)
> taking her back and forth to her doctor's appointments halfway across the
> state and blew the head gasket between the #2 and #3 cylinders.

This is the best answers I got for a long time. Thank you for your
time. I know my metal flex tube has problems. I will check the flaps
also. When the weather gets warmer I will work on it. it is teens
outside now.

Have a good year guys.

cold start problem pj Chrysler 11 September 27th 08 11:15 PM
Cold start problem Dioclese VW water cooled 3 December 24th 07 05:45 AM
TT cold start problem [email protected] Audi 1 March 10th 07 03:10 PM
Cold start problem on '93 Accord Megan Honda 24 December 6th 06 04:05 PM
Cold Engine Start Problem [email protected] Technology 1 November 30th 06 11:52 PM