RLC cancellation?

Old December 21st 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default RLC cancellation?

In article >, Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Cops are not who we're tryng to fool with this prank. As long as it
> looks OK in the RLC photograph, that's all that matters.

Cops write tickets against plastic license plate decorations that people
put on the front of their cars when they don't have a front plate. And
that's in person. The RLCs should be much easier to fool.

Old December 21st 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Before you ask how the cops would know, it stands to reason that every
> cop car would be equipped with an RFID late reader, much as cop cars
> in AZ are currently equipped with optical license plate scanners. The
> data logs of every car that the patrol car "sees" as it drives around
> are too valuable to leave uncollected.

Optical scan technology is already developed, already works, and doesn't
require re-plating all the vehicles. It is also easier to get past the
people than RFID chips in the license plates and it isn't vunerable to a
car owner disabling the chip.

Old December 21st 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Scott in SoCal wrote:

> necromancer wrote:
> > Jim Yanik:
> >
> >> a PAPER copy of a plate is not going to be highly reflective like a real
> >> plate is.
> >> At night,cops will spot them quickly.Probably during the day,too.
> >>
> >> I'd just make a plate holder that flips to horizontal with a push of a
> >> button.A simple solenoid.
> >> RLCs will not see much of a plate that's parallel-facing the ground.
> >>
> >> eventually,they'll push for RFID chipped license plates,scan them with an
> >> antenna like the E-Pass transponders.

> >Take a cigarette lighter to the area where the chip is. Problem solved.

> Then you get pulled over for not having a valid license plate, much as
> you would get pulled over if you took a cigarette lighter to your
> renewal sticker.
>
> Before you ask how the cops would know, it stands to reason that every
> cop car would be equipped with an RFID late reader, much as cop cars
> in AZ are currently equipped with optical license plate scanners. The
> data logs of every car that the patrol car "sees" as it drives around
> are too valuable to leave uncollected.

You could probably 'zap' one without leaving any visible evidence using a
microwave oven.

It would then be for them to prove it wasn't a failed chip.

OTOH it would be far better for this scenario never to arise.

Graham

Old December 21st 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott in SoCal wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:37:08 -0600,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Scott in SoCal wrote:
>>
>>> Before you ask how the cops would know, it stands to reason that every
>>> cop car would be equipped with an RFID late reader, much as cop cars
>>> in AZ are currently equipped with optical license plate scanners. The
>>> data logs of every car that the patrol car "sees" as it drives around
>>> are too valuable to leave uncollected.

>>Optical scan technology is already developed, already works, and doesn't
>>require re-plating all the vehicles.

> The same is true of passports, but those all have RFID chips now.

optical scanning of a passport requires handling it. They don't want to
do that.

>>It is also easier to get past the
>>people than RFID chips in the license plates

> RFID chips in passports made it past.

When did the people get to vote on it? It was just done. The people who
watch government complained and government ignored them because the
masses consider people who watch government kooky conspiracy theorists
because government said they were.

> People are becoming conditioned
> to the idea, so soon it will be possible to put them in license
> plates. It's all part of the government's master plan.

number plate scanning is quite clearly the chosen technology for logging
where everyone drives and when.

>>and it isn't vunerable to a car owner disabling the chip.

> Well, since disabling the chip will get you pulled over and cited by
> the first cop car you pass, very few people will even attempt to
> disable it.

If a cop is relying on the system he won't even notice that it doesn't
beep for a violator. If he's using his eyes, what's the difference?

Old December 21st 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Dec 20, 10:43*pm, Eeyore >
wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:

> > Except that the RLrunners will NOT lose their license,as most RLC tickets
> > do not assign points to the DL;thus they are only taxes for running RLs.
> > IOW;REVENUE generation.

> You need to change that then. Red light runners in the UK most certainly get
> points on their licence. Simple really.
>
> It's the one 'safety measure' by camera that I can't find fault with.
>
> Graham

I can't support that simply because at least in the US most RLC
intersections are set up to artificially create violators. Points on
a license to boot would be just adding insult to injury.

nate
Old December 21st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alex

On Dec 20, 4:39 pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> Jim Yanik:
>
> > a PAPER copy of a plate is not going to be highly reflective like a real
> > plate is.
> > At night,cops will spot them quickly.Probably during the day,too.

> > I'd just make a plate holder that flips to horizontal with a push of a
> > button.A simple solenoid.
> > RLCs will not see much of a plate that's parallel-facing the ground.

> > eventually,they'll push for RFID chipped license plates,scan them with an
> > antenna like the E-Pass transponders.

> Take a cigarette lighter to the area where the chip is. Problem solved.

Not to mention that if you park in the street your plate can get
bashed
quite a bit by other cars. Porbably right where that chip is.
-------------------
Alex
Old December 21st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alex

On Dec 20, 5:01 pm, Eeyore >
wrote:

> RLCs are GOOD. They mean that CRIMINALS who would happily KILL you because
> they want to get somewhere quicker (the ULTIMATE MFFY) get fined and will
> lose their licence if they're not careful.

The ultimate MFFY by a politician are RLCs.

> An excellent idea.

If your motive is to raise money and decrease intersection safety, yes
they are
excellent at doing both.
--------------------
Alex

Old December 21st 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Dec 20, 7:37*pm, Eeyore >
wrote:
> necromancer wrote:
> > *Eeyo

> > > The modern plates are made of plastic and are of a reflective white (front) or
> > > yellow (rear) material for the base. Magnets certainly won't help typically.

> > > I'd expect that a convincing copy would be quite hard to make. Paper certainly
> > > wouldn't do it and anyway they'd last no time before it rained.

> > Well, I think the idea is to put on the paper, "plate," Hopefully with
> > the number of some prominent politician or other, "celebrety," in town,
> > run the light, get photographed and then remove the, "plate," when a
> > safe distance from the camera. You would probablly need to use thick
> > cardboard or even a piece of plastic to give the paper enough rigidity
> > to pull off the stunt.

> You'll need to be driving the same model and colour of car for that to work. They
> note these things AIUI.
>
> Graham

Having been behind more than one desk pushing paper, I seriously doubt
that the clerk mailing out the tickets pays much attention to "does
that plate, match that car?". Maybe now that the underground is
screwign with the system.

Harry K
Old December 22nd 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Eeyo

> As I said before, there is no culture of red light running in this country as some
> kind of sport (aside maybe from a few extreme MFFY types).

Nor is there one here. Now tampering with traffic signals inorder to
increase revenue.....

> Any small advantage it might offer (assuming an accident is avoided) would be lost
> by the time required to fit and then remove the fake plates.

Better yet, who checkes their license plate everytime they approach and
enter their vehicle? Maybe instead of afficing the bogus plate to your
car, affix it to someone else's (espicially if its the plate number of a
promement politician or other, "pillar of the community). Sure it might
take a while before the mark runs a light....

--
S&DDAM indicating that it runs red lights:

"You're making a left turn right behind some semi or fedex or ups truck
and you can't see the light but you follow the truck anyway while he
slowly makes the left and when the light is finally visible to you it's
red."

--Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS, 8/8/07
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/26x4o2
Message ID:
Old December 22nd 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Scott in SoCal:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:12:18 -0500, necromancer
> > wrote:
>
> >Here in GA, (where we don't have a license plate on the front of the
> >vehicle), the RLC's photograph the rear of the, "offending," vehicle.
> >IOW, you can't see who is driving the car.

> Are you sure they don't photograph both? I have seen some RLC systems
> that have cameras pointing in both directions.

Dunno, to be quite honest. I've never been photographed (because 1: I
don't run red lights, unlike S&DDAM and 2: I tend to avoid the
intersections that have the cameras), however, the setups I have seen
around here only have one camera per intersection, so they have to
photograph the rear of the car to get the tag #.

--
Loco Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend admits to being a red light
runner:

"The cameras don't catch everyone. I have never been nailed for this."

Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 5/9/06
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/ee4wq
Message ID: