I'm back!

Old January 1st 05, 06:06 PM
Terry Solomonson

Default I'm back!

Way back in January of 2001 I bid farewell to my '85 Golf diesel after
putting 256,000 miles on it. The head gasket was leaking, it had rust
everywhere but on the upholstery, the windshield looked like it had run
into a load of buckshot, and when the injection pump started leaking
(again). I was recovering from knee surgery, so I finally gave up and
tossed it.

I've regretted it ever since... especially when #2 went over 2 bucks a
gallon!

So last week, when the tranny went out of my old 300D (for the 3rd time)
I decided to return to the VW world. I found a '96 Jetta TDI with 136K
that looks, runs and sounds good.

Now that I'm back to the newsgroup, anybody have any tips about dealing
with the 96TDI? I've got plenty of diesel tips for Mercedes folks!

It's good to be back! (I've already bookmarked Fred's TDI page).

Terry Solomonson
Old January 1st 05, 10:51 PM
Woodchuck

Only one thing to be concerned with... how old is the timing belt and roller
pulleys?

link.net...

Old January 1st 05, 10:51 PM
Woodchuck

Old January 2nd 05, 01:11 AM
Terry Solomonson

they were replaced at 100K - I don't know if it's a pain on this one but
I remember doing it when I replaced the water pump on the Golf and it
was a.........

Old January 2nd 05, 01:11 AM
Terry Solomonson

Old January 2nd 05, 03:18 AM
Woodchuck

96 TDI can be done in about 2.5 hours and is similar to your old golf.

ink.net...

Old January 2nd 05, 03:18 AM
Woodchuck

Old January 2nd 05, 04:15 PM
Terry Solomonson

Excellent! Actually, looking at Fred's photo description on how to do
it it looks a tad easier, since the Golf's A/C compressor got in the
way too. Really a mess that took almost a whole day.

Apparently the gas Jettas had the same problem - my friend's daughter
had her timing belt break on her Jetta about 20K after it was replaced
by the dealer, and the mechanic who worked on it afterwards (lucky for
her it wasn't a TDI!) said that they never replaced the pulley - when he
confronted them they said that they never need replacing! Fortunately,
the previous owner of this car never used the dealer for service...

Woodchuck wrote:
> 96 TDI can be done in about 2.5 hours and is similar to your old golf.
>
> "Terry Solomonson" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>they were replaced at 100K - I don't know if it's a pain on this one but I
>>remember doing it when I replaced the water pump on the Golf and it was
>>a.........
>>
>>Woodchuck wrote:
>>
>>>Only one thing to be concerned with... how old is the timing belt and
>>>roller pulleys?

rthlink.net...

Old January 2nd 05, 04:15 PM
Terry Solomonson

E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
Saturn rear-ended at low speed, but back still hurts Rich Wales Saturn 0 October 27th 04 07:42 PM
Water in E39 back footwells Deep BMW 7 October 13th 04 11:35 PM
SL2 2002 back passenger window popping out Alissa122 Saturn 3 September 27th 04 08:17 PM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM