1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Old September 6th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chucky C

Default 1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

I've posted here before and you guys have been more than helpful in
each instance! I was wondering if you might be able to come through
for me again?!

Over this past week I've had a belt get really noisy on me (I'm
assuming it's a belt anyway). It is especially bad after it rains.
Here is what I know...

1.) When I apply gas the belt ceases to squeek, but comes back as soon
as the car is idle.

2.) The noise is greatly reduced after I've driven it around for a
while, even if I'm idling at a light. Especially after I've been
driving on the interstate and had a constant throttle on the gas.

Does anybody have any clue? And if you do, what would the average
price be to get it repaired?

Thanks!

~ Chuck

Old September 6th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

One thing to check is the serp belt. Typically the squeak occurs when
the belt gets a glaze on it. Not sure on the price as each shop will
vary slightly. Not sure of vehicle specifics but could be one of the
following if it is the belt squeaking: 1) belt replacement 2) tighten
belt 3) new belt tensioner (spelling ?). I thought I had a similar
problem with the belt on my car but it turned out that the drive pulley
needed to be replaced.

Old September 6th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_93_]

Ken Wrote:
> One thing to check is the serp belt. Typically the squeak occurs when
> the belt gets a glaze on it. Not sure on the price as each shop will
> vary slightly. Not sure of vehicle specifics but could be one of the
> following if it is the belt squeaking: 1) belt replacement 2) tighten
> belt 3) new belt tensioner (spelling ?). I thought I had a similar
> problem with the belt on my car but it turned out that the drive pulley
> needed to be replaced.
>
> Chucky C wrote:
> > I've posted here before and you guys have been more than helpful in
> > each instance! I was wondering if you might be able to come through
> > for me again?!
> >
> > Over this past week I've had a belt get really noisy on me (I'm
> > assuming it's a belt anyway). It is especially bad after it rains.
> > Here is what I know...
> >
> > 1.) When I apply gas the belt ceases to squeek, but comes back as

> soon
> > as the car is idle.
> >
> > 2.) The noise is greatly reduced after I've driven it around for a
> > while, even if I'm idling at a light. Especially after I've been
> > driving on the interstate and had a constant throttle on the gas.
> >
> > Does anybody have any clue? And if you do, what would the average
> > price be to get it repaired?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > ~ Chuck

Serps like to make noises when misaligned too, and it's common on
Chrysler stuff for that to be due to a deteriorated bushing or loose
mount in a belt driven item like the alternator or A/C compressor, or
like he said a belt tensioner arm that's worn will tip in and cause
misalignment....when the pulley bearing itself goes bad, they usually
chatter and click rather than squeal, but if the tensioner arm is doing
a lot of jumping around as it runs, this can be an indication of a bad
tensioner..there are index marks on the tensioner arm that show you the
condition of belt stretch, if the poiter is inside the range indicated
by the two outer marks, the belt is OK, if outside, the belt has
stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to tighten it to spec...get a
good eyeball on trueness, or else a new belt will be making noises in
no time as well, and lastly small drops of antifreeze hitting the flat
side of a serp will cause whistling and squeal...look for any evidence
of leakage.

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638