Alarm for '05 Accord

Old May 21st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Alarm for '05 Accord

Hey everone,

Got a strange one. After driving yesterday and returning home, I pressed
the FOB to lock the doors and arm the alarm. The alarm immediately started
going off! First time it happened. It was daytime, no lights were on all
doors/trunk/hood was tight. Couldn't figure it out. Went inside and called
the dlrshp I bought the car from and described the problem. Walked back
outside while talking to the service rep in case she could recommend
anything.

She kept asking if any work was done to the electrical, etc. Car is stock -
no work other than oil changes and rotate tires. She said to try
disconnecting the battery but I would need to reset the radio code. This is
an '05 Accord LX w/factory alarm installed by dlrshp, and I never received
an alarm code when I bought it new. Since this was Saturday and they closed
early, there were no techs available to take a look. Also this Honda dlrshp
was further out than several others. I'd need to take the car in on a
weekday morning to drop it off for the day!

Called a Honda mechanic I know that works at a different dlrshp, and he said
to bring it in and he'll take a look. Couldn't figure it out, so he
disconnected the battery for about 10 seconds and reconnected it. Now
everything works and the radio still works - no code needed! Questions: 1)
Anyone know what could have caused this with a dealer installed factory
alarm? 2) Is the Accord LX supposed to need a radio code or not? Mechanic
says no - service rep at other dlrshp said if the battery was disconnected
longer, ie: 1 min - I would need the code. Other dealershp said they could
get the code free for me in case I needed it, but I'd have to drive back out
there.

Thanks!
-Dave

Old May 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

If the radio has a blinking light and says SECURITY, you need the code.
It would be on the plastic card that came with your manual. You can
still disconnect several seconds without losing the code, and sometimes
even the stations.

'Curly'
Old May 21st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> If the radio has a blinking light and says SECURITY, you need the code.
> It would be on the plastic card that came with your manual. You can
> still disconnect several seconds without losing the code, and sometimes
> even the stations.
>
> 'Curly'

Exactly. What I was trying to figure out is if this one even *requires* a
security code. He tried a trick before that normally brings up the s/n or
security code (forget which), but it did not work on this car. This is how
he determined it does not have one. I never received a plastic card with
the manual or anywhere else. Still have all ppwrk.

When the mechanic disconnected the battery to reset the alarm, the clock and
stations on the radio were all wiped out, but radio still worked. It wasn't
a scheduled appointment at the dealership. Ended up stopping by the
dealership he works at, and he came out to check/fix it for me. Don't want
to disconnect the battery for several minutes to see if it locks the radio
(in case it does), but also trying to avoid wasting a trip out to where I
bought the car..

-Dave

Old May 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Dave L" > wrote in message
> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
>> If the radio has a blinking light and says SECURITY, you need the code.
>> It would be on the plastic card that came with your manual. You can
>> still disconnect several seconds without losing the code, and sometimes
>> even the stations.
>>
>> 'Curly'

> Exactly. What I was trying to figure out is if this one even *requires* a
> security code. He tried a trick before that normally brings up the s/n or
> security code (forget which), but it did not work on this car. This is
> how he determined it does not have one. I never received a plastic card
> with the manual or anywhere else. Still have all ppwrk.
>
> When the mechanic disconnected the battery to reset the alarm, the clock
> and stations on the radio were all wiped out, but radio still worked. It
> wasn't a scheduled appointment at the dealership. Ended up stopping by
> the dealership he works at, and he came out to check/fix it for me. Don't
> want to disconnect the battery for several minutes to see if it locks the
> radio (in case it does), but also trying to avoid wasting a trip out to
> where I bought the car..
>
> -Dave

Oh hell. Alarm started going off when I armed it again. Happened when I
got home again so I grabbed a wrench to disconnect the battery for about 20
seconds to reset it. Anyone have any other ideas before I make an appt with
the dealer? Also intermittent, so if they don't find anything - I'll be
screwed.

Curly,
Thanks, I got your email and responded, but it was bounced back. Was there
something to change on your email address I wasn't seeing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Dave

...why do the strangest things seem to happen to me???