emergency brake cable question

Old October 12th 04, 01:56 AM
Ben867-5309

Default emergency brake cable question

i just had work done on my 98 jetta done today and my mechanic told me
that i would have to eventually replace my emergency brake cables soon
because they are corroded. he said that eventually they will stick,
which will mess up my whole braking system.....but i don't use my
e-brake at all so i'm wondering if it's possible for the e-brake to
stick w/out me even using it??? i wasn't sure if my mechanic was under
the assumption that i used the e-brake or not.....any help would be
great.
Old October 12th 04, 02:06 AM
Tom's VR6

First, I removed the rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled from your posting
list before replying.

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Ben867-5309 wrote:

>i just had work done on my 98 jetta done today and my mechanic told me
>that i would have to eventually replace my emergency brake cables soon
>because they are corroded. he said that eventually they will stick,
>which will mess up my whole braking system.....but i don't use my
>e-brake at all so i'm wondering if it's possible for the e-brake to
>stick w/out me even using it???

Yes, if somebody else uses the car. Otherwise no.

> i wasn't sure if my mechanic was under
>the assumption that i used the e-brake or not.....any help would be
>great.

I think your mechanic figures that having a working
emergency/parking brake is important.

In cold weather they have a tendency to get water in the cables and
freeze engaged. It is very hard on the rear disks and pads if you
then drive. I got in the habit of parking in gear rather than using
the brake, tho I did replace my cables this summer.

Old October 12th 04, 02:57 AM
Joseph Meehan

Ben867-5309 wrote:
> i just had work done on my 98 jetta done today and my mechanic told me
> that i would have to eventually replace my emergency brake cables soon
> because they are corroded. he said that eventually they will stick,
> which will mess up my whole braking system.....but i don't use my
> e-brake at all so i'm wondering if it's possible for the e-brake to
> stick w/out me even using it??? i wasn't sure if my mechanic was under
> the assumption that i used the e-brake or not.....any help would be
> great.

Frankly you should use it, but I doubt if you will start, until you find
out why. BTW it is more properly identified as a "parking" brake.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 12th 04, 03:26 AM
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
.. .
>BTW it is more properly identified as a "parking" brake.

Depends on when you use it. If I have an emergency situation and I need it,
it then becomes an emergency brake

Old October 12th 04, 11:59 AM
Joseph Meehan

Matt B. wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> BTW it is more properly identified as a "parking" brake.

> Depends on when you use it. If I have an emergency situation and I need
> it,
> it then becomes an emergency brake

About 20 years ago I had to use my parking brake in an emergency. Trust
me, in an emergency when the brake line fails it is a poor substitute. I
got a lot more help from putting the transmission in first. Lucky for me
and my 1970 VW Bug, no one was coming through the intersection at that time.
However I see you pont.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 13th 04, 02:05 AM
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
>About 20 years ago I had to use my parking brake in an emergency. Trust
>me, in an emergency when the brake line fails it is a poor substitute.

Better than nothing though!

If misused you of course can lock the rear wheels. If you're trying to stop
straight that's not so bad. If you've locked the rear wheels and you want
to swerve, then you're in big trouble because you'll spin instead of
swerving.

But it's still better than nothing.

Old October 13th 04, 11:39 AM
Joseph Meehan

Matt B. wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
>> About 20 years ago I had to use my parking brake in an emergency. Trust
>> me, in an emergency when the brake line fails it is a poor substitute.

> Better than nothing though!
>
> If misused you of course can lock the rear wheels.

In my case, it would have had to be ice freshly cleaned by the zamboni
to lock the rear wheels. :-)