1998 Saturn SL2 timing chain

Old May 10th 04, 05:32 AM
Lazarus

Default 1998 Saturn SL2 timing chain

I just bought a 1998 sl2. Not 10 minuets after I bought I ran into
some guy that told me that they have a bad problem with breaking
timing chains.
being that I only paid $1000.00 for it I am not to concerned if I have
to replace it but I was just wondering if any one knows about this
problem ( if it exists ) tank you for your time
Old May 10th 04, 06:08 AM
richard hornsby

Lazarus wrote:

> I just bought a 1998 sl2. Not 10 minuets after I bought I ran into
> some guy that told me that they have a bad problem with breaking
> timing chains.

I have a 98SL2 with ~75K and since I've had the car (~40K) I've never
had a problem with the timing belt. I haven't heard anything like this
(3 other SLs in my family), and I also don't see anything about it on
the list of TSBs.

BTW: does anyone know where to get the full text of the TSBs? All I
can find is a list of TSB titles, except the 25$/year to alldatadyi.

-rj
98SL2
Old May 11th 04, 02:42 AM
Jonnie Santos

I've read that if the car has had normal oil changes and not allowed to run
on low oil levels, timing chain life is really long - something like the
life of the engine (which means different numbers to different folks). And
I've also read they start making enough noise before they fail that most
techs/mechanics can suggest it's time to replace. Since the valves don't
clear the tops of the piston on the compression stroke, i.e. interference
engine, you'll bend and break parts when the chain breaks. Not pretty.

My 97SL2 with 89,200 miles is on the original chain and is fine as far as I
know - I think I hit 6,000 r's on a shift today merging onto the highway and
everything stayed together... (grin)

om...

Old May 11th 04, 03:34 PM
Barry Schnoor

I think Jonnie has it right. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine. I have a
'94 with 157,000 miles and the chain is quiet.
Since Saturns have a reputation for using oil, check it every few times you
fill up your tank...until you get a feeling for how much oil you're using.
My car is now using a quart every 1,500 miles. 2,000 miles when it was
brand new.

She's getting old....

Barry

Old May 12th 04, 06:12 AM
Napalm Heart

"richard hornsby" > wrote in message
> Lazarus wrote:
>
> > I just bought a 1998 sl2. Not 10 minuets after I bought I ran into
> > some guy that told me that they have a bad problem with breaking
> > timing chains.

> I have a 98SL2 with ~75K and since I've had the car (~40K) I've

never
> had a problem with the timing belt. I haven't heard anything like

this
> (3 other SLs in my family), and I also don't see anything about it

on
> the list of TSBs.
>
> BTW: does anyone know where to get the full text of the TSBs? All

> can find is a list of TSB titles, except the 25$/year to alldatadyi.
>
> -rj
> 98SL2

No timing belt on your car. It has a timing chain. They aren't known
to break.

Ken

Old May 12th 04, 06:38 AM
richard hornsby

> No timing belt on your car. It has a timing chain. They aren't known
> to break.

Apologies. I realized later that I meant chain, and not belt.
Old May 12th 04, 05:49 PM
Napalm Heart

"richard hornsby" > wrote in message
> > No timing belt on your car. It has a timing chain. They aren't

known
> > to break.

> Apologies. I realized later that I meant chain, and not belt.

No apologies needed here. The only thing I'm concerned about is that
a true neophyte (not you, you obviously have more knowledge then that)
might change the serpentine belt and think they had changed a timing
belt. If they were having a timing chain problem that could be a
'fatal error'.

Ken

Old May 14th 04, 05:50 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Lazarus" > wrote in message
om...
> I just bought a 1998 sl2. Not 10 minuets after I bought I ran into
> some guy that told me that they have a bad problem with breaking
> timing chains.
> being that I only paid $1000.00 for it I am not to concerned if I have
> to replace it but I was just wondering if any one knows about this
> problem ( if it exists ) tank you for your time

It is true.

See: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...m=an_364666954

The same mechanic, and owner of Saturn Services (now 6th Planet after Saturn
threatened litigation), a well-regarded independent Saturn shop in Florida,
suggests changing the chain at 70K miles for preventive maintenance: "saturn
timing chains are failing at an alarming rate, i'm recommending to my
customers to replace them at 75k as preventive maintenance. were now selling
apx 4 engines every week now and most are due to t-chain failures. the twin
cams are failing more than the single cams f.y.i."

OTOH, If you paid $1000, you're probably not going to want to spend $600-700
on a timing chain replacement, and you'll most likely go well beyond 100K
miles. The odds are on your side that you won't have a failure. And as
others have pointed out, a worn timing chain usually makes noise prior to
failing, so you have some warning. However you don't have a frame of
reference as to what the noise level should be normally, if you bought it
used.

Just keep the oil level topped off (you're probably burning a quart or two
of oil in a Saturn that old), and you'll get your money's worth.

A lot of people have been misled on this issue, a timing chain, even though
it is steel, does NOT last the life of the car. As Tom and Ray state:
"Timing chains do last longer, but not necessarily the life of the car. And
when they do break, it's a big job and a lot of money to replace them, and
"Now, with overhead-cam engines, it has to be 3 or 4 feet long, and for that
kind of length, a belt is not only a lot quieter, but more reliable, too.
When you use a chain for that kind of length, it's more likely to loosen up,
slap around and eventually break." See
http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../April/01.html

Old May 14th 04, 08:13 PM
Blah blah

In article >,
says...

> "richard hornsby" > wrote in message
> > Lazarus wrote:
> >
> > > I just bought a 1998 sl2. Not 10 minuets after I bought I ran into
> > > some guy that told me that they have a bad problem with breaking
> > > timing chains.

> > I have a 98SL2 with ~75K and since I've had the car (~40K) I've

> never
> > had a problem with the timing belt. I haven't heard anything like

> this
> > (3 other SLs in my family), and I also don't see anything about it

> on
> > the list of TSBs.
> >
> > BTW: does anyone know where to get the full text of the TSBs? All

> > can find is a list of TSB titles, except the 25$/year to alldatadyi.
> >
> > -rj
> > 98SL2

> No timing belt on your car. It has a timing chain. They aren't known
> to break.
>
> Ken

Saturn timing chains in the 1.9L arent known for strength so yes they
are known to break. Its a single roller chain that goes from the crank
to one or two over head cam(s) so its longer than none ohc engines. I
think there are many ways for these chains to go bad. One may be
sticking valves which stress the chain. Lack of oil changes could result
in more drag. Another thought would be a clogging oil passage that
lubricates the chain. Either way frequent oil changes and not pushing
the engine on a cold winter day until its warmed up can probably greatly
improve the life of the chain.

Old May 15th 04, 02:18 AM
Napalm Heart

"Blah blah" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...

into

breaking

> > > I have a 98SL2 with ~75K and since I've had the car (~40K) I've

> > never
> > > had a problem with the timing belt. I haven't heard anything

like
> > this
> > > (3 other SLs in my family), and I also don't see anything about

it
> > on
> > > the list of TSBs.
> > >
> > > BTW: does anyone know where to get the full text of the TSBs?

All
> > > can find is a list of TSB titles, except the 25$/year to

alldatadyi.

> > > -rj
> > > 98SL2

> > No timing belt on your car. It has a timing chain. They aren't

known
> > to break.
> >
> > Ken

> Saturn timing chains in the 1.9L arent known for strength so yes

they
> are known to break. Its a single roller chain that goes from the

crank
> to one or two over head cam(s) so its longer than none ohc engines.

> think there are many ways for these chains to go bad. One may be
> sticking valves which stress the chain. Lack of oil changes could

result
> in more drag. Another thought would be a clogging oil passage that
> lubricates the chain. Either way frequent oil changes and not

pushing
> the engine on a cold winter day until its warmed up can probably

greatly
> improve the life of the chain.

In most cases that I've heard of, a timing chain breaking on a Saturn
is from insufficient maintenance and/or abuse, as you have indicated.
I bought my '96 SL2 after it had been repo-ed. I took a chance, since
the prior owner didn't seem to have done much better on maintenance
than they did on making their payments. Timing chain didn't break,
but a piston did. I bought it cheap enough that a self-installed
replacement engine made the total cost still reasonable enough. With
regular maintenance I've had no problems at approx. 125,000 miles on
the '97 engine that now resides under the hood.

Ken