Yet another DUH!

Old July 12th 05, 02:07 PM
Ted B.

Default Yet another DUH!

On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the conversation
is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety. This
is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it. Note I
don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally miss
the point. -Dave

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

Old July 12th 05, 04:09 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Ted B. wrote:
> On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the conversation
> is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety. This
> is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it. Note I
> don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
> restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally miss
> the point. -Dave
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

Old July 12th 05, 04:20 PM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On 12 Jul 2005 08:09:00 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
>maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

Hey retard, I've operated a cell phone while driving before. I've been
so drunk when I've driven before that I had to hold a hand over one
eye so I would only see one road. I've exceeded the speed limit by a
number measured with triple digits.

How come I've killed less people with my car than Teddy Kennedy has
with his?

Why are you such a criminal coddler?

Why are you such an idiot?

Old July 12th 05, 05:57 PM

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2005 08:09:00 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> > was understood to have stated the following:
>

> >Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
> >maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

> Hey retard, I've operated a cell phone while driving before. I've been
> so drunk when I've driven before that I had to hold a hand over one
> eye so I would only see one road. I've exceeded the speed limit by a
> number measured with triple digits.
>
> How come I've killed less people with my car than Teddy Kennedy has
> with his?

You are a hatefilled psychopath and come judgement day you will go to
the everlasting fires.

Old July 13th 05, 12:46 AM
Aunt Judy likes it in the rear

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> > On 12 Jul 2005 08:09:00 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> > > was understood to have stated the following:
> >

> > >Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
> > >maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

> > Hey retard, I've operated a cell phone while driving before. I've been
> > so drunk when I've driven before that I had to hold a hand over one
> > eye so I would only see one road. I've exceeded the speed limit by a
> > number measured with triple digits.
> >
> > How come I've killed less people with my car than Teddy Kennedy has
> > with his?

> You are a hatefilled psychopath and come judgement day you will go to
> the everlasting fires.

Really? It's amazing how you're able to spout so much, and yet know so
little. How does it feel to be an idiot?

Old July 13th 05, 01:11 AM
Paul.

On 12 Jul 2005 16:46:41 -0700, Aunt Judy likes it in the rear , said the
following in rec.autos.driving...

> How does it feel to be an idiot?

I think that judy gets off on it.

--
Paul

Self-appointed unofficial overseer of kooks
and trolls in rec.autos.driving.
Old July 12th 05, 05:19 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ted B. wrote:
>> On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the
>> conversation
>> is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety.
>> This
>> is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it.
>> Note I
>> don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
>> restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally
>> miss
>> the point. -Dave
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

> Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
> maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

People who want to ban cell phones in cars are killers and maimers and
criminal coddlers?

Old July 13th 05, 12:54 AM

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >

> > Ted B. wrote:
> >> On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the
> >> conversation
> >> is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety.
> >> This
> >> is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it.
> >> Note I
> >> don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
> >> restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally
> >> miss
> >> the point. -Dave
> >>
> >> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

> > Why not ban cell phones in cars? People that do that are killers and
> > maimers and you're a criminal coddler.

> People who want to ban cell phones in cars are killers and maimers and
> criminal coddlers?

I thought it was people who want to ban killers, maimers, and criminal
coddlers were cell phone users. <sigh> I'm so confused....

Old July 13th 05, 02:21 AM
Dave Head

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:07:30 -0400, "Ted B." > wrote:

>On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the conversation
>is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety. This
>is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it. Note I
>don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
>restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally miss
>the point. -Dave
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

Yeah, OK... its an activity that's traceable thru cell phone records. Its just
one type of distracting activity.

What about talking to someone in the car? Is that more or less distracting
than talking on a cell phone? Since this "study" has the aim of getting cell
phone use in cars banned altoghether, and if its as distracting, or more
distracting, to talk to someone in the car, should we ban talking to other
people in the car?

What about turning around to smack the kids in the back seat? Should that be
banned?

Should simply placing the small kids / babies in the back seat, where you have
to turn around to look and see if they've found yet another way to get
themselves into some kind of trouble that needs looking after, be banned and
kids, at least the really small ones, be forced, by law, to ride in the front
seat where you can see what they're up to and whether they've vomited and are
now choking... etc. This back-seat-riding nonsense, brought on by the air bag
nonsense and not being able to turn it off nonsense, gets a lot of kids killed
every year 'cuz they're in the back seat and they get _forgotten_ when the
parent gets out of the car and leaves the kid in a closed locked car with 90
degree heat outside. But that's another subject...

Lots of people run their cars into things while looking at the dish/hunk on the
sidewalk. Are we going to make that illegal too?

How many people run their cars up a phone pole while trying to change the CD?
Should we ban CD players in the car? Cassettes? What about just the radio?

And if cell phones are banned in cars, how many people will simply give up cell
phones? A lot, probably. And when those people who no longer possess cell
phones see an accident, and can't phone it in, and somebody dies because of
that, then what? Are the unintended consequences acceptable?

I can get on a good rant about this, 'cuz it seems that for every new thing
that comes along, there's someone trying to ban it. The cell phone has a
_huge_ positive impact on the state of things in general, and removing cell
phones from society, which would be true for a lot of people who would not pay
to have one _just_ for the rare time they are away from a landline phone and
_not_ in the car, may ultimately do more harm than good. I think that outcome
is actually likely.

Dave Head
Old July 13th 05, 01:12 PM
Ted B.

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:07:30 -0400, "Ted B." > wrote:
>
>>On cell phone use and driving, it is painfully obvious that the
>>conversation
>>is the distraction, so hands-free kits do NOTHING to improve safety. This
>>is like the second study released in a month or so that confirms it. Note
>>don't want more laws banning cell use while driving, but these laws that
>>restrict cell use while driving to "hands free" are laws that totally miss
>>the point. -Dave
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/12/cel...ers/index.html

> Yeah, OK... its an activity that's traceable thru cell phone records. Its
> just
> one type of distracting activity.
>
> What about talking to someone in the car? Is that more or less
> distracting
> than talking on a cell phone? Since this "study" has the aim of getting
> cell
> phone use in cars banned altoghether, and if its as distracting, or more
> distracting, to talk to someone in the car, should we ban talking to other
> people in the car?

Y'know, everytime this topic comes up, SOMEONE mentions talking to
passengers in the car. This point has been disproven many times, but the
short version is, the cell phone conversation is more distracting than
in-vehicle distractions. For example, it's harder to be rude to someone
when you are talking to them on the cell phone. You can ignore a passenger
when necessary. But get in deep **** behind the wheel and the time it takes
you to say "hold on" to someone you are talking to on a cell phone can be
the difference between a collision and avoiding one. To the passenger in
the car, in the same circumstance, you would say nothing. In fact, the
passenger himself/herself would probably suspend conversation before the
driver does. Most of the other distractions you mentioned are temporary . .
.. nowhere near as bad as being distracted by a cell phone conversation that
lasts several minutes.

But my point in making the OP was to point out that laws banning HAND HELD
cell phones while driving are just plain idiotic. The article even infers
that these laws may do more harm than good, by giving hands-free kit users a
false sense of security. (I'm safe because I'm using a hands-free kit while
driving) I personally think that cell phone use while driving should be
totally unrestricted. That's my personal belief. But if there must be a
law regulating cell phone use while driving, I also believe that cell phone
use while driving should be banned, period. -Dave