2000 accord hard start

Old December 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
sal

Default 2000 accord hard start

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

I have a 2000 accord 4 cyl, 104,000km and does not like the cold. As
soon as it's below -14C especially if there's any windchill then it can
crank for 10 seconds very slowly and then starts. A local shop had it
overnight when it was -20C, then checked it out in the morning by
starting it and the guys said it's normal (my old '91 accord had no
problem starting in the cold so it ain't normal in my opinion).

So I added a block heater last winter and it started fine when plugged in.

This year, first night of -16C with windchill, I plugged it in for 1 hr
before using it in the morning, started like a charm 1st turn, and died
right away. Turned the key again and held if for 10 seconds, just one
slow crank per second, then it cranked faster and fast and the engine
finally caught and was running. While idling I noticed what looked like
some smoke come out from under the hood for a few seconds and stop -
could have been exhaust on the windy day, could have been my stupid
cranking for 10 seconds.

Questions is - what causes this hard starting on a car that is only 6
years old and has 104,000KM (still new as far as I'm concerned) ?
Old December 9th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

sal wrote:
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help.
>
> I have a 2000 accord 4 cyl, 104,000km and does not like the cold. As
> soon as it's below -14C especially if there's any windchill then it can
> crank for 10 seconds very slowly and then starts. A local shop had it
> overnight when it was -20C, then checked it out in the morning by
> starting it and the guys said it's normal (my old '91 accord had no
> problem starting in the cold so it ain't normal in my opinion).
>
> So I added a block heater last winter and it started fine when plugged in.
>
> This year, first night of -16C with windchill, I plugged it in for 1 hr
> before using it in the morning, started like a charm 1st turn, and died
> right away. Turned the key again and held if for 10 seconds, just one
> slow crank per second, then it cranked faster and fast and the engine
> finally caught and was running. While idling I noticed what looked like
> some smoke come out from under the hood for a few seconds and stop -
> could have been exhaust on the windy day, could have been my stupid
> cranking for 10 seconds.
>
> Questions is - what causes this hard starting on a car that is only 6
> years old and has 104,000KM (still new as far as I'm concerned) ?

when was the battery last changed?
Old December 9th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_8_]

jim beam wrote:

> when was the battery last changed?

I am pretty sure it's the original battery. It was checked during a
tuneup in 2005 and at the time the dealer said it was ok. Could that
really cause the hard start?
Old December 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"jim beam" > wrote in message
news
> sal wrote:
>> Hi, wondering if anyone can help.
>>
>> I have a 2000 accord 4 cyl, 104,000km and does not like the cold. As soon
>> as it's below -14C especially if there's any windchill then it can crank
>> for 10 seconds very slowly and then starts. A local shop had it overnight
>> when it was -20C, then checked it out in the morning by starting it and
>> the guys said it's normal (my old '91 accord had no problem starting in
>> the cold so it ain't normal in my opinion).
>>
>> So I added a block heater last winter and it started fine when plugged
>> in.
>>
>> This year, first night of -16C with windchill, I plugged it in for 1 hr
>> before using it in the morning, started like a charm 1st turn, and died
>> right away. Turned the key again and held if for 10 seconds, just one
>> slow crank per second, then it cranked faster and fast and the engine
>> finally caught and was running. While idling I noticed what looked like
>> some smoke come out from under the hood for a few seconds and stop -
>> could have been exhaust on the windy day, could have been my stupid
>> cranking for 10 seconds.
>>
>> Questions is - what causes this hard starting on a car that is only 6
>> years old and has 104,000KM (still new as far as I'm concerned) ?

> when was the battery last changed?

That's what I'd suspect too. It sounds like a tired battery.

Maybe a bad battery ground or connector if the battery is good?

Old December 9th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
sal

Nasty wrote:

> That's what I'd suspect too. It sounds like a tired battery.
>
> Maybe a bad battery ground or connector if the battery is good?

Ok, and if it's the battery ground connector is that easy to find? Is it
something that would need to be replaced or just tightened at the same
time when replacing the battery (I am leaning then towards getting a new
battery) ?
Old December 9th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

sal wrote:

> Ok, and if it's the battery ground connector is that easy to find? Is it
> something that would need to be replaced or just tightened at the same
> time when replacing the battery (I am leaning then towards getting a new
> battery) ?

If your current battery is the original, then it is about time for a
replacement.
Old December 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"sal" > wrote in message

> Nasty wrote:
>
>> That's what I'd suspect too. It sounds like a tired battery.
>>
>> Maybe a bad battery ground or connector if the battery is good?

> Ok, and if it's the battery ground connector is that easy to find? Is it
> something that would need to be replaced or just tightened at the same
> time when replacing the battery (I am leaning then towards getting a new
> battery) ?

The cable on the battery's negative post IS the ground. If it's tight at the
battery follow it down to where it bolts to the frame or engine. If it's
tight on both ends and not broken have the battery tested and replace it if
it's bad. Most auto parts stores can test it for you.

Old December 9th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_

Replace the battery, check the ground connection, and use the 'trick' in
the owner's manual under 'how to start your car in cold weather / high
altitude'.

I do it if I can't plug in.

'Curly'
Old December 12th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

this is off topic but, have you had any transmission problems with your
honda i4?

Old December 13th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"sal" > wrote in message
news
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help.
>
> I have a 2000 accord 4 cyl, 104,000km and does not like the cold. As soon
> as it's below -14C especially if there's any windchill then it can crank
> for 10 seconds very slowly and then starts. A local shop had it overnight
> when it was -20C, then checked it out in the morning by starting it and
> the guys said it's normal (my old '91 accord had no problem starting in
> the cold so it ain't normal in my opinion).

How've you made out?