98 Silverado Z71

Old August 5th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Nasty

Default 98 Silverado Z71

I have had the truck since it was new and it still runs great at 99,000.
5.7L, 4x4, K1500, automatic. Yesterday all at once the ABS light came on,
the speedo quit working, and it seemed like the tranny was jumping in and
out of gear. Just as suddenly it all went away and the truck ran fine again.
I thought I felt a light activation of the ABS at very low speed as I was
stopping when I got home. I got a P0505 on the OBD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Old August 5th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:02:04 GMT, "Nasty"
> wrote:

>I have had the truck since it was new and it still runs great at 99,000.
>5.7L, 4x4, K1500, automatic. Yesterday all at once the ABS light came on,
>the speedo quit working, and it seemed like the tranny was jumping in and
>out of gear. Just as suddenly it all went away and the truck ran fine again.
>I thought I felt a light activation of the ABS at very low speed as I was
>stopping when I got home. I got a P0505 on the OBD.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jim

a P0505 is a idle speed malfunction code but if you loose your VSS
(speedo sensor) your ABS will fail and tranny will work funny too.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old August 5th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Nasty

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:02:04 GMT, "Nasty"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have had the truck since it was new and it still runs great at 99,000.
>>5.7L, 4x4, K1500, automatic. Yesterday all at once the ABS light came on,
>>the speedo quit working, and it seemed like the tranny was jumping in and
>>out of gear. Just as suddenly it all went away and the truck ran fine
>>again.
>>I thought I felt a light activation of the ABS at very low speed as I was
>>stopping when I got home. I got a P0505 on the OBD.
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Jim
>>

> a P0505 is a idle speed malfunction code but if you loose your VSS
> (speedo sensor) your ABS will fail and tranny will work funny too.

Will a faulty VSS throw the P0505?

Old August 5th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:07:30 GMT, "Nasty"
> wrote:

>Will a faulty VSS throw the P0505?

Directly no but indirectly maybe. Work one probolem at a time because
a bad or intermittant VSS will "mess" a lot of things up.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old August 5th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Nasty

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:07:30 GMT, "Nasty"
> > wrote:
>
>>Will a faulty VSS throw the P0505?

> Directly no but indirectly maybe. Work one probolem at a time because
> a bad or intermittant VSS will "mess" a lot of things up.
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

Roger that. What does VSS stand for?

Thanks again.

Old August 5th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Nasty

"Nasty" > wrote in message
.. .

> "SnoMan" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:07:30 GMT, "Nasty"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Will a faulty VSS throw the P0505?

>> Directly no but indirectly maybe. Work one probolem at a time because
>> a bad or intermittant VSS will "mess" a lot of things up.
>> The SnoMan
>> www.thesnoman.com

> Roger that. What does VSS stand for?

Never mind. I'll just slap my forehead and move on.......