Windshield Repair Kits - do they work well?

Old June 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Youngquist

Default Windshield Repair Kits - do they work well?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, DeanB wrote:

> Are you cooling the glass when you drill? Adding oil or water to
> lubricate?

No, in my experience it's not necessary. Of course it generates some
heat, but you can touch the glass immediately after lifting the tool.

I use a medium speed, and don't press hard, let the RPM's do the work. A
grindstone isn't made to go straight in like a drill bit, so you have to
wobble it a little, and I find it best to hold it at just a bit of an
angle. It'll take a few minutes to get through the glass.

-Dan
Old June 6th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

DeanB wrote:
> On Jun 5, 12:31 am, Dan Youngquist > wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Dean wrote:
>>> You are not using a tungsten carbide glass drill (spade shaped)?

>> No, a silicon carbide stone. I've never tried tungsten carbide, so I
>> can't say how it compares, but silicon carbide is what Dremel recommends
>> for glass. I use this one, because it's the smallest diameter Dremel
>> makes:http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme.../attachment-ac...
>>
>> -Dan

> Are you cooling the glass when you drill? Adding oil or water to
> lubricate?

you don't want to do that if you want the sealant to stick!
Old June 7th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jun 1, 6:05 pm, wrote:
> I have a small impact on my on my windshield from a rock the size of a
> pencil eraser along with a hairline crack about 1/4 inch long. I want
> to have the windshield repaired so the crack doesnt grow. Most places
> want $50 to repair it. My car is old and I plan to get rid of it in
> the fall.
> I noticed that Permatex and Loctite make repair kits for about $10
> that include a syringe and a crazy-glue like adhesive that supposedly
> fills the crack.
> Can anyone attest to the effectiveness of these kits and the
> difficulty in using them properly?
> Thanks

Just a pinole with a bullseye, work pretty good. with a crack; maybe
not so good. you use the syringe to suck the air out of the bullseye,
then to fill it with crazy glue. if you can get rid of all the air,
the crazy glue almost matches the refractive index and it's almost
invisible. the original pinhole remains. with a crack, it has to be
small enough that you can effectively get all the air out without more
leaking in through the edges under the suction cup. then if you pass
that hurdle, the crazy glue doesn't really disguise a crack the way it
disguises the bullseye under the glass in the center of the
windshield. then, it doesn't have enough strength to really keep the
crack from propagating over time as they so often like to do.

Windshield crack repair kits [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 September 26th 06 03:47 PM
Alloy repair kits Sam Smith BMW 3 October 19th 05 07:49 PM
Hunter Turnplate repair kits hogg Technology 0 February 21st 05 06:29 AM
Windshield washer does not work Papa VW water cooled 6 February 3rd 05 01:49 PM
UK audi A6 1.9TDI Rear Caliper Repair Kits Buster Keaton Audi 2 August 1st 04 10:39 AM