Odyssey Speedometer not working

Old August 8th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
branigan

Default Odyssey Speedometer not working

Is there a speedometer cable for the Odyssey or is it electronic. If
elec. is there a fuse or something to look for (simple)? thx.
Old August 8th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

branigan wrote:

> Is there a speedometer cable for the Odyssey or is it electronic. If
> elec. is there a fuse or something to look for (simple)? thx.

-----------------------------------

You have to wait until Psychic Wednesday if you're not going to tell us
the year and mileage...

'Curly'
Old August 8th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
branigan

apologies, this is a 1995 with 203k on her. I have done the ole reset
on the battery, but this did nothing for the speedo issue. thx sir..
Old August 9th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

branigan > wrote in
:

> apologies, this is a 1995 with 203k on her. I have done the ole reset
> on the battery, but this did nothing for the speedo issue. thx sir..

Any error codes stored, or is the Check Engine light on?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 10th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
branigan

:

>> apologies, this is a 1995 with 203k on her. I have done the ole reset
>> on the battery, but this did nothing for the speedo issue. thx sir..
>>

>Any error codes stored, or is the Check Engine light on?

- The check engine light comes on after about 30 minutes of
driving. These are the chain of events:
- speedo/odometer do not work
- van starts fine
- after moving forward for 5 seconds the 'D' light on the gear
selector starts to blink.
- the car drives normally
- then after about 30 minutes the check engine light comes on.
Old August 10th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

branigan > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 00:36:23 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®" >
> wrote:
>
>>branigan > wrote in
m:

>>> apologies, this is a 1995 with 203k on her. I have done the ole reset
>>> on the battery, but this did nothing for the speedo issue. thx sir..
>>>

>>Any error codes stored, or is the Check Engine light on?

> - The check engine light comes on after about 30 minutes of
> driving. These are the chain of events:
> - speedo/odometer do not work
> - van starts fine
> - after moving forward for 5 seconds the 'D' light on the gear
> selector starts to blink.

> - the car drives normally
> - then after about 30 minutes the check engine light comes on.

Get the code. See he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf
The "special tool" is just a bent paper clip.
Specifically you want Page 15.

As I understand it, the D light should flash its own code as well.

Report the codes back here.

It's likely the code will have to do with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

Old August 12th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
branigan

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:43:07 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"

:

:

>>>Any error codes stored, or is the Check Engine light on?

>> - The check engine light comes on after about 30 minutes of
>> driving. These are the chain of events:
>> - speedo/odometer do not work
>> - van starts fine
>> - after moving forward for 5 seconds the 'D' light on the gear
>> selector starts to blink.

>> - the car drives normally
>> - then after about 30 minutes the check engine light comes on.
>>

>Get the code. See he
>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf
>The "special tool" is just a bent paper clip.
>Specifically you want Page 15.
>
>As I understand it, the D light should flash its own code as well.
>
>Report the codes back here.
>
>It's likely the code will have to do with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

Tegger, do you know where the speed sensor is located? Also, does the
speed sensor actually make the needle move?

thx.
Old August 12th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

branigan wrote:

> apologies, this is a 1995 with 203k on her. I have done the ole reset
> on the battery, but this did nothing for the speedo issue. thx sir..

------------------------------------

Does the cruise control accept commands, or hold the speed? That will
tell you a lot about what is working and what is not.

'Curly'
Old August 12th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

branigan > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:43:07 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
> > wrote:

>>Get the code. See he
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf
>>The "special tool" is just a bent paper clip.
>>Specifically you want Page 15.
>>
>>As I understand it, the D light should flash its own code as well.
>>
>>Report the codes back here.
>>
>>It's likely the code will have to do with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

> Tegger, do you know where the speed sensor is located? Also, does the
> speed sensor actually make the needle move?

The VSS is on the top of the transmission case. It has an electrical
connector. If it fails, the speedometer will function oddly or not at all,
since it receives its signal from the VSS. And usually the transmission
will exhibit strange shifting behavior.

Old August 13th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> branigan > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:43:07 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
>> > wrote:

>>>Get the code. See he
>>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/..._E_14JAN03.pdf
>>>The "special tool" is just a bent paper clip.
>>>Specifically you want Page 15.
>>>
>>>As I understand it, the D light should flash its own code as well.
>>>
>>>Report the codes back here.
>>>
>>>It's likely the code will have to do with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

>> Tegger, do you know where the speed sensor is located? Also, does the
>> speed sensor actually make the needle move?
>>

> The VSS is on the top of the transmission case. It has an electrical
> connector. If it fails, the speedometer will function oddly or not at all,
> since it receives its signal from the VSS. And usually the transmission
> will exhibit strange shifting behavior.

And, your ABS light may come on....