Slippery when wet - or how one little 180 can be rather expensive

Old August 20th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Slippery when wet - or how one little 180 can be rather expensive

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>>> You still could have an alignment that guarantees understeer under
>>> nearly all circumstances. Do you know the current alignment specs?

>> No. But since I've never specified otherwise, I assume it's stock as
>> well.

> Frank, the factory alignment specs have a ridiculously-large +/-
> range, presumably to make the dealer's job easier. But the camber on
> one front wheel could be 0.5° positive and the other 0.5° negative,
> and the car would still be within spec. Such a car might oversteer in
> one direction and understeer in the other!
>
> I have never heard of anyone being disappointed with his first
> precision Miata alignment. Most owners can't believe it's the same
> car.

I believe you. I'll have to get around to that.

(It's only been 13 years and 150K miles).

Probably I should replace my orginal shocks also. I had 4 replacement
shocks in the trunk that I bought pretty cheaply on e-bay and one night
someone stole one of them. Yes, one. Along with an original CD deck that
never got around to installing and the faceplate of a backup OEM
cassette/radio. Kids.

Old August 22nd 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:57:21 -0400, Iva wrote:
> Frank Berger wrote:
>> pws wrote:
>>
>>> There have been no unintentional spin-outs in a Miata yet, out 10+
>>> years and 150,000+ miles of Miata driving. Two decades of experience
>>> and a torsen rear end go a long way.

>> Every time I've started to lose it, I've instinctively backed off the
>> gas and she straigthens right out. I have no idea if that's what
>> you're supposed to do, but it seems to have worked.

> That's exactly what you're *not* supposed to do. Backing off the gas
> takes weight off the back wheels which could encourage the back end to
> become the front end, and vice versa.
>
> I know it's instinctive - and I've been guilty of the same thing - but
> the one thing I learned from my track days is when the back starts to
> come around, step on the gas and transfer the weight back onto the
> back wheels to stop the spin.
>
> Or, if you've already lost it, "in a spin, put both feet in" - meaning
> clutch and brake.

Hmmm, I think driving well is not so easy. I haven't spun yet but I've
had some pretty good slides which have involved off-camber turns, rain,
or both. The last one was a pretty sharp right that I had taken many
times in the dry. When the back end stepped out I didn't step off the
gas, but I didn't accelerate either. I just corrected and it
straightened itself out a foot or two farther left of where I was
originally intending. The Miata is a very forgiving car to drive, and I
much prefer sliding to spinning or pushing.

I will have to remember that both feet in bit. Just in case.
Old August 22nd 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:07:46 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article > , "Frank
> Berger" > wrote:
>
>> > You still could have an alignment that guarantees understeer under
>> > nearly all circumstances. Do you know the current alignment specs?

>> No. But since I've never specified otherwise, I assume it's stock as
>> well.

> Frank, the factory alignment specs have a ridiculously-large +/-
> range, presumably to make the dealer's job easier. But the camber on
> one front wheel could be 0.5° positive and the other 0.5° negative,
> and the car would still be within spec. Such a car might oversteer in
> one direction and understeer in the other!
>
> I have never heard of anyone being disappointed with his first
> precision Miata alignment. Most owners can't believe it's the same
> car.

Do most tire shops know how to do a precision alignment?
Old August 22nd 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I would say 'most' do not or, more accurately, they don't want or care to.
Most are set up to push the cars thru fast and get the easy $. A precision
alignment doesn't take much longer with an expert but I'm guessing that,
with 'dummies' it's much more of a challenge.

Local Miata clubs or racers should be able to hook you up with the right
folks.

Chris
99BBB