Maint for 120K 98' Neon?

Old December 8th 04, 05:28 PM

Default Maint for 120K 98' Neon?

Is there anything that needs to be done at about 120K miles on a '98 Neon
Expresso.
With the cold weather it's done the severeve misfirring / car shaking at
startup. I remember discussion of this and a recall / computer flash. Does
anyone know if this is still valid? Also any suggestions as to picking
plugs & wires?

I've made it this far with the original headgasket, here's to another 120K,

Thanks.

Old December 8th 04, 06:08 PM
maxpower

no recall for that, and sounds like possible misfire, if it is due for a
tune up, replace the wires also, Has the timing belt been replaced yet
om...

Old December 8th 04, 06:08 PM
maxpower

no recall for that, and sounds like possible misfire, if it is due for a
tune up, replace the wires also, Has the timing belt been replaced yet
om...

Old December 18th 04, 04:40 AM
Michael

If I am not mistaken, the head gasket issue was resolved sometime around 97
or 98, so I doubt that would be any problem to you. Miss firing would more
then likely be spark plug wires and or plugs. From everything I have read,
(and noticed with my two neons) is that Champion or NGK plugs work best, and
for about $5CND worth changing twise a year depending the miles you put on
the car. They are also very easy to change.
If new plugs does not solve the issue, look at spark plug wires. I know the
OEM ones are a bit pricy and there are aftermarket ones that are
cheaper/better.
You may also want to consider looking at the battery terminals if it is
starting to take more turning the engine over to start it. I have noticed
that with the battery clamps in my 2001, that when it is below 0'C out, my
Capasitor low voltage alarm sounds when starting, indicating that power is
being drawn from the Cap.

--
Thank you,

Michael Lawrence CNET/CNO

http://thehad.net

om...

Old December 18th 04, 04:40 AM
Michael

If I am not mistaken, the head gasket issue was resolved sometime around 97
or 98, so I doubt that would be any problem to you. Miss firing would more
then likely be spark plug wires and or plugs. From everything I have read,
(and noticed with my two neons) is that Champion or NGK plugs work best, and
for about $5CND worth changing twise a year depending the miles you put on
the car. They are also very easy to change.
If new plugs does not solve the issue, look at spark plug wires. I know the
OEM ones are a bit pricy and there are aftermarket ones that are
cheaper/better.
You may also want to consider looking at the battery terminals if it is
starting to take more turning the engine over to start it. I have noticed
that with the battery clamps in my 2001, that when it is below 0'C out, my
Capasitor low voltage alarm sounds when starting, indicating that power is
being drawn from the Cap.

--
Thank you,

Michael Lawrence CNET/CNO

http://thehad.net

om...

Old December 18th 04, 04:44 AM
Michael

Oh, ya, almost forgot, If the 120k is miles, I would consider doing the
timing belt really soon.
From what I have been told, most manuals say to do the belt at around
150,000km (about 95,000 miles).
This could be the source of the misfiring, which is not good.

http://thehad.net

Old December 18th 04, 04:44 AM
Michael

Oh, ya, almost forgot, If the 120k is miles, I would consider doing the
timing belt really soon.
From what I have been told, most manuals say to do the belt at around

http://thehad.net