96 Accord auto trans problems

Old March 8th 05, 06:44 AM
Grey-hound

Default 96 Accord auto trans problems

I have a 96 Accord LX with automatic transmission. Has 4 cyl and 115K miles
on it. Drained and replaced the trans fluid 1 1/2 months ago with Honda
auto trans fluid. Tonight while driving home city/highway it would not go
faster than 30 mph (3k rpm's) and prior to this some major slipping like the
clutches were not biting into anything (rpm fluxed with no increase in
speed)or had no trans fluid in the transmission. After the slippage the
engine lite came on. The fluid is at the proper level and does not smell
burnt. Any ideas?
Thanks
Greyhound

Old March 8th 05, 06:55 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:44:08 GMT, "Grey-hound"
> wrote:

>I have a 96 Accord LX with automatic transmission. Has 4 cyl and 115K miles
>on it. Drained and replaced the trans fluid 1 1/2 months ago with Honda
>auto trans fluid. Tonight while driving home city/highway it would not go
>faster than 30 mph (3k rpm's) and prior to this some major slipping like the
>clutches were not biting into anything (rpm fluxed with no increase in
>speed)or had no trans fluid in the transmission. After the slippage the
>engine lite came on. The fluid is at the proper level and does not smell
>burnt. Any ideas?
>Thanks
>Greyhound

Transmission bands are slipping.

Lg

Old March 10th 05, 12:03 AM
Comboverfish

Grey-hound wrote:
> I have a 96 Accord LX with automatic transmission. Has 4 cyl and 115K

miles
> on it. Drained and replaced the trans fluid 1 1/2 months ago with

Honda
> auto trans fluid. Tonight while driving home city/highway it would

not go
> faster than 30 mph (3k rpm's) and prior to this some major slipping

like the
> clutches were not biting into anything (rpm fluxed with no increase

in
> speed)or had no trans fluid in the transmission. After the slippage

the
> engine lite came on. The fluid is at the proper level and does not

smell
> burnt. Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Greyhound

Your trans has probably failed from leaking shaft seals / bushings they
ride in. Its too late to do anything now except overhaul or replace
it. If you drain the fluid I would suspect you will find it to look
dark. It may not look that bad on the dipstick. I am guesing that the
failure is causing your car to "flare" out of a higher gear into the
one below it (1rst or 2nd) which is limiting your speed and causing the
high RPMS and neutral-like feeling.

FYI your trans has no "bands", only clutch packs.

Toyota MDT in MO

Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto Dean Jeep 2 December 1st 04 06:51 AM
1992 525i Auto Trans question Scott BMW 1 October 10th 04 03:14 PM
Toyota A-340E trans problems - possible causes outside the trans? Doc General 6 May 27th 04 03:54 PM