72 Beetle Dead Short

Old March 7th 05, 08:04 AM
Elvin Rambaran

Default 72 Beetle Dead Short

Hi. I have a 72 Beetle that is suffering from a dead short. As soon as the
ignition is turned on, fuse number 2 blows. Then, of course, there is no
positive power to the coil and the car will not start. What confuses me here
is that the wire (white in color) from fuse 2 goes into a black box about
10cm x 10 cm. Then, different color thin wires emerge from this box and
connect to the steering column. Any idea what box this is? And what color
wire should I then be tracing from the balck box.

Finally, is there any resource on the web that gives you the color of the
wires that go to each fuse. I suspect that my wiring is probably not 100%

Regards,
Elvin

Old March 7th 05, 05:46 PM
Speedy Jim

Elvin Rambaran wrote:

> Hi. I have a 72 Beetle that is suffering from a dead short. As soon as the
> ignition is turned on, fuse number 2 blows. Then, of course, there is no
> positive power to the coil and the car will not start. What confuses me here
> is that the wire (white in color) from fuse 2 goes into a black box about
> 10cm x 10 cm. Then, different color thin wires emerge from this box and
> connect to the steering column. Any idea what box this is? And what color
> wire should I then be tracing from the balck box.
>
> Finally, is there any resource on the web that gives you the color of the
> wires that go to each fuse. I suspect that my wiring is probably not 100%
>
> Regards,
> Elvin

Your wiring is not 100%. <bg>

Go he
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring.html
and download a diagram.

The black box you describe is not stock on a '72.
Also, which country are you in?

Finally, there is *NO* fuse in the circuit to the Coil.
(Or should not be; someone has altered the wiring...)

See if there are markings on the black box- a part number perhaps,
or terminal # designations.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 9th 05, 07:04 AM
Elvin Rambaran

Hi. No part number on the black box. Or terminal designations for that
matter. The number 2 fuse appears to be for the brake lights and the
windshield wipers, but who knows The car is the South African version.

Regards,
Elvin

Old March 12th 05, 12:09 AM
vic20owner

Elvin Rambaran wrote:
> Hi. No part number on the black box. Or terminal designations for that
> matter. The number 2 fuse appears to be for the brake lights and the
> windshield wipers, but who knows The car is the South African version.

I don't have a wiring diagram for a 72 beetle, but on my 71 bus, I had
the same problem. When I turned the key, the brake light and horn fuse
blew instantly. Turned out to be the brake warning switch (screwed into
the master cylinder with two or three wires coming out of it). It was
shorted out. Replacing it fixed the problem. It's cheap... like 7
bucks or something. Do it quick, no need to bleed the brakes, just add
more fluid.

-tom

FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 11:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 05:54 PM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 09:22 AM
2000 Passat instrument cluster electrical short + smoke! Martin Mainfeld VW water cooled 5 October 7th 04 03:45 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM