Clunking sound in rear when stopped

Old December 31st 04, 04:45 PM
Scott Summers

Default Clunking sound in rear when stopped

I noticed recently that when I am stopped at a red light or something
- that a loud clunking sounds seems to be coming from the rear left
side.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

I am pretty sure I have had this before and had it fixed. I just
can't remember what it was.
Old December 31st 04, 05:11 PM
Scott

Sorry - it's a 94 Park Avenue. Does that help any? I am not much of a
car guy - sorry.
If it's the muffler thing - is that something I can fix myself?

Old December 31st 04, 05:18 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 31 Dec 2004 09:11:27 -0800, "Scott" > wrote:

>Sorry - it's a 94 Park Avenue. Does that help any? I am not much of a
>car guy - sorry.

sokay

>If it's the muffler thing - is that something I can fix myself?

eh, if you have the parts, yes, unless, the pipes are rotted through.

If the pipes are rotted through, you are on your way to a muffler and
exhaust shop to have the work done, as they have all the right parts,
tools, welding torches, etc.

If it is just a hanger/suspender, that you can fashion out of a
stainless-steel ribbon clamp.

But first, you have to see if the pipes are *shot.* If they are, it
is in your best interest to get them replaced, as leaking exhaust gas
getting into your passenger compartment is not good for your health (
think Carbon Monoxide Poisoning ).

I can't see the car, obviously, so this is my guessing.

Lg

Old December 31st 04, 07:55 PM

On 31 Dec 2004 09:11:27 -0800, "Scott" > wrote:

>Sorry - it's a 94 Park Avenue. Does that help any? I am not much of a
>car guy - sorry.
>If it's the muffler thing - is that something I can fix myself?

Do the idiot checks. Check your trunk. Is your spare loose? Is your
jack secure? etc, etc, etc....

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Old December 31st 04, 11:09 PM
William R. Watt

Walk around to the rear of the vehicle when the engine is stopped and
cold. Bend over, reach down, grab the tail pipe, shake vigorously. If
there's no sound it's probably not the exhaust pipe.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 3rd 05, 09:14 PM
Roger Maxwell

"Scott Summers" > wrote in message
om...
>I noticed recently that when I am stopped at a red light or something
> - that a loud clunking sounds seems to be coming from the rear left
> side.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be?
>
> I am pretty sure I have had this before and had it fixed. I just
> can't remember what it was.

Perhaps a broken baffle inside the gas tank and the sloshing motion of
gasoline is causing the noise?

Roger

Old January 4th 05, 05:27 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Scott Summers wrote:

> I noticed recently that when I am stopped at a red light or something
> - that a loud clunking sounds seems to be coming from the rear left
> side.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be?
>
> I am pretty sure I have had this before and had it fixed. I just
> can't remember what it was.

Bowling ball loose in the trunk?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.