Mazda OBD codes P0031 P0051 P0037 related to exhaust manifold?

Old September 7th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sidney

Default Mazda OBD codes P0031 P0051 P0037 related to exhaust manifold?

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV that had a cracked exhaust manifold. I took it
to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. However they still
charged me $85 to run the OBD codes. I know, I got ripped off. I just
went to AutoZone and ran the codes myself and came up with P0031, P0051
and P0037. These all indicate failed O2 sensors. Shouldn't these
failures be related to the cracked exhaust manifold?

Basically, I want the dealer to refund my $85 and reset the Check
Engine light for free. From my research they usually charge about $100
because you have to take apart the dash. Great design.
Thanks in advance.

Old September 7th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Any scanner can plug into the obd11 port and clear codes, about 3 minutes
worth of work!
oups.com...

Old September 8th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

The dash should not have to come apart. The port for the OBDII machine
is usually under the dash on the drivers side and takes only a few
minutes to reset the codes. The dealer should have done at least one
of these 2 things: 1) Have the diagnosis included with the warranty as
the codes derive from the warranty work. 2) If they cannot include it
with the warranty and are not willing to cover the diagnostic cost then
the codes get reset after the warranty work because it is part of
scanning it in the first place and you paid for it.

Old September 8th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sidney

I should probably clarify. I went to AutoZone and used their OBD
scanner. That is how I know the codes. When I had the repair work
done, they told me the codes were from "Arching spark plug wires" and
therefore not covered under warranty. Then I went to Autozone and read
the codes myself.

I have cleared the codes but two, P0031 and P0051, keep coming back.
My main question is can the bad O2 sensors be a result of having a
cracked exhaust manifold? They tried to f*** me once, so I am sure if
I don't have my facts straight they will try again.

Old September 8th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
corning_d3[_13_]

A cracked manifold can definitely cause a false code. Extra air is
getting pulled into the exhaust system. Since air is 21% oxygen, it'll
easily throw off the fuel mixtures and set a code...

EDIT: I don't think the crack could cause an O2 sensor to fail, though.

--
corning_d3
corning_d3's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=373828

http://www.automotiveforums.com