Popping Sound from 2000 C5

Old August 17th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Matt Trivisonno

Default Popping Sound from 2000 C5

Hi Everybody,

I hear a popping sound from my C5 as the car rolls slowly backwards or
forwards. The popping happens whether the car is in gear or not, or whether
the brakes are on or not. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car. At
first I thought there might be something caught on a wheel, or a nail in a
tire, but there isn't. The sound has no rhythm and occurs randomly. I can't
seem to hear it while driving above a few miles an hour - even in a parking
garage where it is easy to hear sounds bouncing off the walls.

From what little I have been able to find via Google, it sounds like it might
be a problem with a bearing. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders.

Old August 17th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Empty3

"Matt Trivisonno" > wrote in message
news:NewzToolz_Rulz!_www.techsono.com_3238621379_5 ...
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I hear a popping sound from my C5 as the car rolls slowly backwards or
> forwards. The popping happens whether the car is in gear or not, or
> whether
> the brakes are on or not. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car.
> At
> first I thought there might be something caught on a wheel, or a nail in a
> tire, but there isn't. The sound has no rhythm and occurs randomly. I
> can't
> seem to hear it while driving above a few miles an hour - even in a
> parking
> garage where it is easy to hear sounds bouncing off the walls.
>
> From what little I have been able to find via Google, it sounds like it
> might
> be a problem with a bearing. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders.

Matt, though I do not think it applies to Vettes (i.e. disc brakes), the
last time I hear popping sounds like what you
describe, my brake drums (Chevy Lumina) were oval (not round), so they had
to be machined.

Empty3

Old August 19th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

I had a 2000 corvette did the same thing it is the propeller shaft
sliding in when it starts to move. If you notice the body also moves
up or down every so slightly when the car starts to move this is what
causes the propeller shaft to slide.The propeller shaft connects the
differential to the wheel. Its pops when there is torque on the shaft
and it turns. It is not a problem and it will stop if you drive it
offen.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:02:58 GMT, Matt Trivisonno
> wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>
>I hear a popping sound from my C5 as the car rolls slowly backwards or
>forwards. The popping happens whether the car is in gear or not, or whether
>the brakes are on or not. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car. At
>first I thought there might be something caught on a wheel, or a nail in a
>tire, but there isn't. The sound has no rhythm and occurs randomly. I can't
>seem to hear it while driving above a few miles an hour - even in a parking
>garage where it is easy to hear sounds bouncing off the walls.
>
>From what little I have been able to find via Google, it sounds like it might
>be a problem with a bearing. Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>Matt
>
>Posted with NewzToolz. Free RAR, PAR, and yEnc decoders.

Belt flipped and weird sound Chronologic VW air cooled 8 October 1st 05 05:26 AM
2000 540i: Annoying electrical popping/clicking sound in dash Bill BMW 5 March 22nd 05 07:11 AM
Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 07:08 PM
Problems! 2000 Caravan Sport and Infinity Sound Snydley Dodge 42 January 3rd 05 08:15 PM