How is the 2005+ V6...Really.....

Old August 6th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Default How is the 2005+ V6...Really.....

Steve Gerbino wrote:
> I'm shopping!!
>
> So my question is, how good of a performer is the V6 in the "fun to drive"
> category?
> I am looking automatic/Pony which from what I usnerstand has a similar
> suspension as the GT (rear swaybar etc)

I rented a V6/Auto/Vert while vacationing in WA last fall. Great car, fun to
drive, very comfortable. Acceleration was acceptable, but nothing to write home about.
Fortunatly, it doesn't take much to make the V6 a good performer. It's 4.0 vs.
4.6 liters. Not much. The V6 is "detuned" a little from the V8. Ford doesn't want
the two to compete in the performance market. But a few simple bolt ons and a
computer reprogram, and the performance would be pretty good. And get 25mpg! Maint
is easier, and insurance is cheaper. The balance and weight are slightly better with
the V6.
Although, I would go for the 5 speed.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old August 6th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Josh Thelmack

".boB" > wrote in message
. com...
> Steve Gerbino wrote:
>> I'm shopping!!
>>
>> So my question is, how good of a performer is the V6 in the "fun to
>> drive"
>> category?
>> I am looking automatic/Pony which from what I usnerstand has a similar
>> suspension as the GT (rear swaybar etc)
>>

> I rented a V6/Auto/Vert while vacationing in WA last fall. Great car,
> fun to drive, very comfortable. Acceleration was acceptable, but nothing
> to write home about.
> Fortunatly, it doesn't take much to make the V6 a good performer. It's
> 4.0 vs. 4.6 liters. Not much. The V6 is "detuned" a little from the V8.
> Ford doesn't want the two to compete in the performance market. But a few
> simple bolt ons and a computer reprogram, and the performance would be
> pretty good.

whot kind of bolt ons ?

Old August 6th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Josh Thelmack wrote:
> ".boB" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Steve Gerbino wrote:
>>
>>>I'm shopping!!
>>>
>>>So my question is, how good of a performer is the V6 in the "fun to
>>>drive"
>>>category?
>>>I am looking automatic/Pony which from what I usnerstand has a similar
>>>suspension as the GT (rear swaybar etc)
>>>

>> I rented a V6/Auto/Vert while vacationing in WA last fall. Great car,
>>fun to drive, very comfortable. Acceleration was acceptable, but nothing
>>to write home about.
>> Fortunatly, it doesn't take much to make the V6 a good performer. It's
>>4.0 vs. 4.6 liters. Not much. The V6 is "detuned" a little from the V8.
>>Ford doesn't want the two to compete in the performance market. But a few
>>simple bolt ons and a computer reprogram, and the performance would be
>>pretty good.

> whot kind of bolt ons ?

Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT
exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap.
They add a bit of power and a better sound.
If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you
live at high altitude.

Not long ago, I was seriously considering a V6 for a drag strip car. I live at
6,400' ASL. With headers and a blower, I would have more torque and hp than a GT
without the blower. Altitude really sucks the power, and a blower puts it back.

Old August 6th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mrs Ken Ehrett[_1_]

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
> wrote:

>Josh Thelmack wrote:
>> ".boB" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> I rented a V6/Auto/Vert while vacationing in WA last fall. Great car,
>>>fun to drive, very comfortable. Acceleration was acceptable, but nothing
>>>to write home about.
>>> Fortunatly, it doesn't take much to make the V6 a good performer. It's
>>>4.0 vs. 4.6 liters. Not much. The V6 is "detuned" a little from the V8.
>>>Ford doesn't want the two to compete in the performance market. But a few
>>>simple bolt ons and a computer reprogram, and the performance would be
>>>pretty good.

>> whot kind of bolt ons ?
>>

> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT
>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap.
> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you
>live at high altitude.

By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

Old August 6th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Mrs Ken Ehrett" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
> > wrote:
>
>>Josh Thelmack wrote:
>>> ".boB" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> whot kind of bolt ons ?
>>>

>> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know
>> the stock GT
>>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay
>>pretty cheap.
>> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
>> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower.
>> Especially if you
>>live at high altitude.

> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

To say nothing of voiding the warranty on your new car.
And just imagine how much more power you would have if you did that to the
GT...

Old August 6th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
> > wrote:
>

>>Josh Thelmack wrote:
>>
>>>".boB" > wrote in message
er.com...

>>>whot kind of bolt ons ?
>>>

>> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT
>>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap.
>> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
>> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you
>>live at high altitude.

> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

Not around here. You're talking about no more than $6K. Around here, the GT's
go for about $10K more than the similar V6. The dealerships have plenty of V6's to
choose frome, they're having a tough time selling them. But the GT's sell
themselves. They don't stay on the lot very long. Some of them get sold before
delivery.
The V6 gets 25mpg; at least, my rental did. And you know how I drive a rental.
Gas pedal only has two positions - up and down. Plus, your insurance is cheaper.

Besides, I thought it would be fun to have a hot rod V6. Take it to the drag
strip and smoke the new GT's Imagine them looking over at you and saying, "Oh,
that's just a wimpy V6/auto." Nothing like a little stealthy power.

Old August 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mrs Ken Ehrett[_1_]

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:17:18 -0600, ".boB"
> wrote:

>Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
>> > wrote:

ter.com...

>>> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT
>>>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap.
>>> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
>>> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you
>>>live at high altitude.

>> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.
>>

> Not around here. You're talking about no more than $6K. Around here, the GT's
>go for about $10K more than the similar V6. The dealerships have plenty of V6's to
>choose frome, they're having a tough time selling them. But the GT's sell
>themselves. They don't stay on the lot very long. Some of them get sold before
>delivery.

That's your area. In my area the add-on's put me up to GT prices.

> The V6 gets 25mpg; at least, my rental did.

My Mach 1 gets 24 mpg on highway and about 22 in city driving.

>And you know how I drive a rental.

Actually no.

> Gas pedal only has two positions - up and down. Plus, your insurance is cheaper.

Can't comment on the insurance because I'm paying Cobra prices.

> Besides, I thought it would be fun to have a hot rod V6. Take it to the drag
>strip and smoke the new GT's Imagine them looking over at you and saying, "Oh,
>that's just a wimpy V6/auto." Nothing like a little stealthy power.

Reminds me of an 04 GT who tried to intimidate me one evening last
spring. Rode my tail for about 5 miles until we got onto the
Beltway. He passed me and then got stuck behind a slow moving van. I
got around him just as he floored it. Suffice it to say he kept
well back and three lanes over until we parted company. He might
have had what he thought was a bad-a$$ GT but it was no match for a
Mach 1.
Old August 6th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mrs. Ken Ehrett

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:26:24 GMT, "My Names Nobody" >
wrote:

>"Mrs Ken Ehrett" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
>> > wrote:

>>> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know
>>> the stock GT
>>>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay
>>>pretty cheap.
>>> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
>>> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower.
>>> Especially if you
>>>live at high altitude.

>> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.
>>

>To say nothing of voiding the warranty on your new car.
>And just imagine how much more power you would have if you did that to the
>GT...

Yeah exactly.
Old August 7th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
chris

"Mrs Ken Ehrett" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
> > wrote:
>
>>Josh Thelmack wrote:
>>> ".boB" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> whot kind of bolt ons ?
>>>

>> Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know
>> the stock GT
>>exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay
>>pretty cheap.
>> They add a bit of power and a better sound.
>> If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower.
>> Especially if you
>>live at high altitude.

> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

Hardly.... not talking superchargers. A SCT tune, CAI and duals with a 4:10
gear will run around 1500. None of that will void your warranty, except the
tune..and all you have to do is load the stock tune back in it before the
trip to the dealership. It'll make the v6 launch just as well as a GT.
Around here theres a 5-6k price difference....

Old August 7th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:57:57 -0600, ".boB"
> > wrote:
>
> >Josh Thelmack wrote:
> >> ".boB" > wrote in message
> >> . com...

> >> whot kind of bolt ons ?
> >>

> > Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT
> >exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap.
> > They add a bit of power and a better sound.
> > If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you
> >live at high altitude.

> By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

There was an $8000 difference between my V6 and a GT. Yes, it was
$8000... I will not argue that point... where I live the markup was
around $3000 with no baragining! PERIOD!

For $8000 I can build up a V6 that can run down the GT... As far as
warranty... I don't worry about it since my warranty was up in just
over a year... Or if you are so inclined just keep all your stock
parts... A guy in town put a rod through his block on his GT with a
150HP shot of N20... put it back to stock and got it covered under
warranty... Personally I don't think that's right... but that's
another story... LOL!

With simply bolts on like a tune, CAI and exhaust my V6 was at
200RWHP... so figure around 240HP at the crank... so 20HP less than my
2002 GT... BTW.. I had my car service a few time with the
bolt-on's... heck I even had my TPS replace with my N20 kit hooked up!
The dealership never questioned me once... they just did the warranty
work with no hassles! LOL!