Semi OT VWoA

Old November 10th 04, 06:01 AM
Bill Berckman

Default Semi OT VWoA

Well it has been 3 or 4 years since I have heard about VWoA suing anyone over a
domain name or something else if anyone still remembers that. If you were
going to buy a new commuter car, would you go with a Watercooled VW? The
reason I ask is that someone who knows that I have an old VW, asked why I don't
drive a New Beetle or Golf for a daily driver. It did not take long to think
about it, and decide that the answer would be NO, I would not buy a new VW. It
is not anything to do with any bad feelings towards VWoA, but just really
don't like what they are offering that much. If looking for an economical new
commuter car, I would probably go with a Civic (like Shaggie has) or something
similar in the Toyota line. My daily driver is still a 95 Escort Wagon which
has been a great car. Has 97K on it now. What are you guys driving for you
commuter car?
Bill Berckman
67 Beetle

Old November 10th 04, 06:09 AM
Kafertoys

> What are you guys driving for you
>commuter car?

64 beetle

Mario
Old November 10th 04, 07:56 AM
Ed B

> has been a great car. Has 97K on it now. What are you guys driving for
> you
> commuter car?
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

Currently driving a 73 VW Thing as my daily driver, and travel significant
distances every other week in it. I have it, I see no reason not to drive
it.

Old November 10th 04, 08:49 AM
Juper Wort

.... My daily driver is still a 95 Escort Wagon which
> has been a great car. Has 97K on it now. What are you guys driving for

you
> commuter car?
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

74 Beetle. Wife uses a 99 Peugeot 406 to ferry three kids about. Bus comes
out at weekend to take kids to park.

James

Old November 10th 04, 10:57 AM
Jan

Bill Berckman wrote:
> If you were going to buy a new commuter car, would you go with a Watercooled VW?

No. There's more value for the same amount of money available with other
makes.
Without sacrificing reliability (heck, even with BETTER reliability, VW
has gone down in that area)
I don't like the cars either. They don't look appealing to me, outside
or inside.

And yes, it's an organization that doesn't deserve my support.

> If looking for an economical new commuter car, I would probably go with a Civic (like Shaggie has) or
> something similar in the Toyota line.

If I wanted a daily driver commuter car that I could trust, I'd prolly
go for a Toyota.
If I had more money I'd choose a new Subaru.

> What are you guys driving for you commuter car?

For now, my 67 bug and 66 bus. I drive them to work every day (oh and
the convertible when teh weather allows it) from May to October,
usually.

In the winter I drive my 86 Subaru turbo wagon. It's waiting for new
paint now, all primered and rust free.
Should get it done within a month. NEED to anyway.

Jan
Old November 10th 04, 11:36 AM
insanitize

> What are you guys driving for you commuter car?
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

My current daily drivers are a 1970 Cutlas wagon with
over 400,000 miles on it and a 1994 Honda Del Sol when
I don't want to worry about finding a large parking
space

--
The me you see is not the me I be
Old November 10th 04, 11:54 AM
Tim Rogers

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message

> What are you guys driving for you commuter car?

......................'77 bug except for about 4 winter months when there's
salt on the roads. Then, it'll be a '01 Maxima this year.

Old November 10th 04, 01:04 PM
Dennis Wik

1968 Bus if possible. If time is an issue or I have to tow something,
then the Sport trac.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old November 10th 04, 01:58 PM
Braukuche

> What are you guys driving for you
>commuter car?
>Bill Berckman
>67 Beetle

1960 ragtop Bug. My wife drives a 2004 Passat station wagon. I like the Passat,
handles nice, has a nice ride and I like the looks for a new car that is. But
the Bug is by far much more fun to drive.
--Dan E
Old November 10th 04, 05:22 PM
Kidd Andersson

> If you were
>going to buy a new commuter car, would you go with a Watercooled VW?

I've wanted a Jetta for a long time, but after seeing the problems DeeDee's had
with her brand new Beetle, I don't think I would trust VWoA.
If I was going to buy a new car, I'd buy an '04 Subaru WRX STi. Or maybe a
Toyota truck, like a Tacoma or a Tundra.

Until then, I'm stuck with a '97 Honda Civic. Despite it's lack of care over
the last few years (thank my mother), the only things that have gone wrong with
it are the CV joints (I'm sure due to my insane driving styles - shut up Jan -)
and the A/C. Aside from regular things like brake pads, that car's been a gem.

Kidd
"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump
off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."