Door Handle on Chevy Blazer

Old October 16th 04, 11:19 PM
Spiderman

Default Door Handle on Chevy Blazer

The driver's side door handle on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer won't open the
door...it feels loose (as if someone was trying to yank it off to steal the
truck) and won't engage the latch release. I have to open the door from the
inside via the passenger entrance. Is it likely that the part of the handle
that connects to the latch can be reattached or must the whole handle be
replaced? How easy is it to remove the door panel to get to the lock?

Old October 17th 04, 04:34 AM
Big Chris

Spidey,

This is an incredibly common problem. Go to parts store, and purchase new
(crappy) replacement handle. These are made of crappy pot metal, and they
break frequently. Take the interior door panel off, back off the screws
holding the handle on (it's obvious) remove the arms from the handle,
replace with new blah blah blah. It's pretty obvious once you get the door
apart. I think I paid $12 or so for my last handle. I've begun to debate
just keeping a spare on hand, as I've replaced 6 total in 8 years. It's a
crappy design, amplified by using poor quality metal to make the handles.

Big Chris

Old October 17th 04, 08:37 AM
Burt Squareman

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
> The driver's side door handle on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer won't open the
> door...it feels loose (as if someone was trying to yank it off to steal the
> truck) and won't engage the latch release. I have to open the door from the
> inside via the passenger entrance. Is it likely that the part of the handle
> that connects to the latch can be reattached or must the whole handle be
> replaced? How easy is it to remove the door panel to get to the lock?

On the new handle, coat the breaking point areas with J&B weld and
fiber glass screen mesh. I did this on a broken handle which last till today.
--
Burt