How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 18th 05, 05:41 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >,
says...

>There's a perfectly good bike lane (or shoulder, as Brent likes to
>call them) not five feet from these lard-asses, yet they feel the need
>to endanger pedestrians on the sidewalk. Why?!?!?!?

I can see a problem if you can't tell the difference between a bike lane and
shoulder. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are not.

>People like these give good, courteous, law-abiding pedalcyclists a
>bad name.

True. I happen to have the complete opposite problem. I ride to work most
days and I have to go around many pedestrians who are too stupid to realize
they are in a bicycle lane. They hog up the whole lane and often block it,
one the cell phone seems the cause many times. What makes this even worse is
that there is a pedestrian lane right next to the bike lane.
-------------
Alex

Old May 18th 05, 06:04 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Jim Smith > wrote:
(Matthew Russotto) writes:

>> In article >,
>> Roy Owen > wrote:

>>>Or maybe he'd just start packing a 9mm and blow people away.

>> In which case he'd end up dead or in jail in short order, also solving
>> the problem.

>Lets review. Our problem is a rude bicyclist. You are tacitly
>endorsing a course of action which "solves the problem" by leaving one
>person dead and another either dead or in jail.

No. I'm endorsing a course of action that, _if escalated by the
bicyclist_ will leave one person dead and another either dead or in
jail. The only alternative being a course of action which will not solve
the problem at all -- that course of action being to simply silently
allow the rudeness to stand.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 18th 05, 06:15 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
>And it's not just that more hours are spent in cars. On a per-hour
>basis, riding in a car and riding a bike are about equal in fatal head
>injury risk.

When we want to get from point A to point B, we measure on a per-mile
basis, not per hour.

>Incidentally, walking near traffic is even worse - mostly
>because of road zombies mowing people down in crosswalks.

Mostly because of drunk pedestrians wandering in the middle of unlit
streets.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 18th 05, 06:20 PM
Mike Latondresse

"Claire Petersky" > wrote in
:

> This is also the case in the Seattle area. For example,
> Bothell/Lake City Way has a transit lane to facilitate the ease of
> travel for the buses. If the issue was only keeping auto traffic
> moving, they'd only need cut-outs for the bus to pull into at each
> stop.

Actually in Vancouver streets they are inatallling sidewalk bulges so
buses don't have to pull in (across the parking lane) to pick people
up. This of course delays the cars behind (and speeds up the bus) but
the planners say tough, take a bus. Love it.
Old May 18th 05, 06:23 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Mike Latondresse > wrote:

>Actually in Vancouver streets they are inatallling sidewalk bulges so
>buses don't have to pull in (across the parking lane) to pick people
>up. This of course delays the cars behind (and speeds up the bus) but
>the planners say tough, take a bus. Love it.

Not even the planners think they can figure out how to make taking a
bus pleasant enough to be an option most people will voluntarily take
over driving a car. So instead they try to figure out way to make
driving a car even more unpleasant. But the gap is too wide to be
bridged that way too.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 18th 05, 06:34 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >,
says...

>Two words: Critical Mass.

They represent themselves, not other cyclists. It's like saying LLB's
represent all drivers.
--------------
Alex

Old May 18th 05, 06:51 PM
Brent P

In article >, Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>>
>>And it's not just that more hours are spent in cars. On a per-hour
>>basis, riding in a car and riding a bike are about equal in fatal head
>>injury risk.

> When we want to get from point A to point B, we measure on a per-mile
> basis, not per hour.

Maybe out in rural areas per mile is valuable way to determine A-to-B
travel. I'm used to travel being described in a minutes basis.

Thusly if I am making a decision to drive to work or ride to work, my
consideration is the number of minutes. Biking is usually equal in the
morning and faster in the afternoon.