High pitch whinner ('90)

Old August 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chip L

Default High pitch whinner ('90)

'90 Miata 106k miles.

My car has developed a very high pitched whine/whistle coming from the
drivers rear wheel. Seems to take 15-20 minutes for the whine to
begin. Can eliminate temporarily by pulling up emergency brake or
swerving car f/ side to side. Brakes? Bearing? If bearing, is there a
grease fitting?

Chip L
Old August 15th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"Chip L" > wrote
> '90 Miata 106k miles.
>
> My car has developed a very high pitched whine/whistle coming from the
> drivers rear wheel. Seems to take 15-20 minutes for the whine to
> begin. Can eliminate temporarily by pulling up emergency brake or
> swerving car f/ side to side. Brakes? Bearing? If bearing, is there a
> grease fitting?

I would bet it's the bearing. Heats up, it gets looser. Brake and lateral
motion put sideways pressure on it removing play. No grease fitting - time
to replace the bearing.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old August 18th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chip L

On Aug 14, 8:07*pm, "Ken Lyons" > wrote:
> "Chip L" > wrote> '90 Miata 106k miles.
>
> > My car has developed a very high pitched whine/whistle coming from the
> > drivers rear wheel. *Seems to take 15-20 minutes for the whine to
> > begin. *Can eliminate temporarily by pulling up emergency brake or
> > swerving car f/ side to side. *Brakes? Bearing? If bearing, is there a
> > grease fitting?

> I would bet it's the bearing. Heats up, it gets looser. *Brake and lateral
> motion put sideways pressure on it removing play. No grease fitting - time
> to replace the bearing.
> --
> Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
> Inside the Beltway

Makes sense. Thx Ken. Is bearing replacement a DYI job? I'm fairly
mechanical ( I've replaced rotors on several cars and replaced an
entire air suspension system with coilovers on a Lexus LS400

Chip L
Old August 19th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"Chip L" > wrote
>Makes sense. Thx Ken. Is bearing replacement a DYI job?

I think you need a bearing press. Not exactly a tool most of us have lying
about. I was lucky to have the dealer replace mine under warranty (years
ago).

Old car warrantee sales pitch Stude Antique cars 2 May 21st 08 10:31 PM
3 high pitch beeps whenever the key is removed ??? [email protected][_2_] Honda 3 July 4th 07 02:19 AM
Inside Chrysler's pitch to suitors Jim Higgins Chrysler 1 March 11th 07 12:46 PM
A4 wheel bolt pitch circle diameter big AL Audi 4 June 10th 06 08:07 AM
high pitch noise, possibly from strut? [email protected] Technology 0 December 5th 05 11:41 PM