EA NSR vs. Papyrus Nascar 2003

Old February 21st 05, 02:58 PM
R.V. Gronoff

Default EA NSR vs. Papyrus Nascar 2003

Hi all,

Is NSR really worth the dough over Papyrus NS2K3 with all the free mods
added ?

I've tried the NSR demo and it ran smoothly on my P4
2.25Ghz/Ti4600/512Mb Rambus PC - although the demo doesn't feature many
sounds played together nor all the >40 cars racing together.

I'd love to find a Papy mod for season 2005 since I'm not sure NSR will
ever be available here in the old country.

Thanks for your insights/tips/prophetic visions/etc.
RVG

--
Virez Saddam pour me répondre par mail.
Remove Saddam to e-mail me.

http://www.thatguitarman.com/MP3/jesusland.mp3
Old February 21st 05, 03:39 PM
Plowboy

This is almost a troll worthy post <grin>

If you look anywhere, OLR's forums, this Usenet group (searchable via
Google) and many others, you will find most hate it, and yet again most like
it. Sounds like Im posting gibberish, don't it? Well yah, everyone that
likes NR03 as it is, especially online, has seemingly concluded that the sim
is crap, as it is shipped & installed from CD. Id venture a guess that half
of them, after tweaking the hell out of the .PLR file likes it enough to
play it, but prolly well over half of those who did hated the online
issues... The Ea guys promise a multiplayer type patch "soon" alas Im am
not holding my breath tho, with EA's track record...

there were some stunning bugs, and some stunning likes about it, is obvious.
But now is it worth the 40 bucks? Well how adapt are you at tweaking
software (I do OK at it)? how's your hardware? all up to date with as many
optimized settings figured out? (please note this DOES NOT mean just newest
drivers but knowing what settings to use, in control panel or tweakware
apps, none-the-less)... is your system healthy an free of resource hogging
apps that autoload everytime you boot, how about spyware and junk? (I think
mine is)... SO then, if everything you have is like mine, still comes down
to this... Hell if I can tell for you, but I think it will be worth having,
I mean hell I bought Thunder back when too, although it went to the dusty
storage box in short order... the biggest thing I can see about it, is the
unleveled playing field this forces the Sim community if it is adopted...
at least how it stands, I mean, by default if you flat a tire, your race is
over, but if you can tweak your stuff, you might make it to the pits, plus a
plethora of other options or scenarios that I see, like this that it leaves
wide open...

I should someday receive mine that I pre-ordered on Feb. 2 and for $25, but
I assume by the time them fuggers ship mine {thank you outpost.com}, it
could be patched, OR the NSR-06 could be gold by then (which is prolly "the
patch"... the way EA does it, LOL).

R.V. Gronoff enlightened us with:

Old February 21st 05, 05:00 PM
Michael Horton

>"Plowboy" > wrote in message

<snip>
>the biggest thing I can see about it, is the unleveled playing field this
>forces the Sim community if it is adopted... at least how it stands, I
>mean, by default if you flat a tire, your race is over, but if you can
>tweak your stuff, you might make it to the pits, plus a plethora of other
>options or scenarios that I see, like this that it leaves wide open...

</snip>

You know, that's something I never considered. Yeah, most people would share
the tweaks that'll help a guy get back to the pits, etc. but what about
actual performance tweaks?

I picked up a copy just to see if it was any better than the demo but
haven't loaded it onto my computer yet. I'm not looking forward to having to
do all the "fixes" even though I do a lot of programming. Maybe it's just me
but I don't think I should have to finish the programming when I buy a game.

Old February 21st 05, 06:45 PM
Plowboy

As far as the many tweaks and stuff,

if related to sim racing at all, many do post that info in here, but many
are specific to gfx card brands, some are not. worst thing is you start a
thread like Larry had done with the demo, where he/we tried to list some of
the stuff that should help people out even though maybe just helped me and
Larry out, well it gets off track... LOL.

still reading the game's readme is important IMHO, sparse as it is in this
case...

good luck, mines still on BO, changing the icon I have on the desktop for
outpost, to outhouse... what a bunch of crap. I see that Amazon has it now
for only 35 & ship.

sigh

Michael Horton enlightened us with:

Old February 22nd 05, 05:04 AM

R.V. Gronoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Is NSR really worth the dough over Papyrus NS2K3 with all the free

mods
> added ?
>
> I've tried the NSR demo and it ran smoothly on my P4
> 2.25Ghz/Ti4600/512Mb Rambus PC - although the demo doesn't feature

many
> sounds played together nor all the >40 cars racing together.
>
> I'd love to find a Papy mod for season 2005 since I'm not sure NSR

will
> ever be available here in the old country.
>
> Thanks for your insights/tips/prophetic visions/etc.
> RVG

There is simply no comparison, EA's new title sets the standard in
every area imaginable and is the new definitive Nascar simulation.

Go and read some of the 90%+ reviews which are overflowing with praise.

Old February 22nd 05, 06:14 AM
Darus

I see that you are still incapable of offering ANY specific details as
to why this product is so good. You can't even offer up a single
example, with detailed reasons why, NSR is better than NR2003.
Seriously, how difficult could it be to take few moments and pick a
particular area of NSR that far exceeds the level put forth by NR2003
and explain why and how it is better. You mentioned in another post
that you have the full version now, so certainly you can make a
comparo.

Your usual post consists of very generic and broad statements, usually
mentioning the various reviews (nonspecific ones at that). WOW! That's
really very helpful.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:11 AM
Chad Rogers

As someone that is interested in online play. I will buy NSR when I see
just ONE quality league make a switch to it. As of now there are none.

Chad

ups.com...

Old February 22nd 05, 01:42 PM
jwilson54

it would be hard for the troll to point out a specific area where nsr is
better,there are none.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:32 PM
Plowboy

I dunno,

drove some laps last night online even (not one thing did I edit in the PLR
file yet, and yes it cost me..) I think I really do like the way the cars
"SEEM" to have a "weight" to them... they drove pretty good, yes I didnt
run the rookie setups, well I might have for qualifying lol because I hadnt
picked up on how you set the default sets for each "session" lol..

jwilson54 enlightened us with:

Old February 23rd 05, 02:37 AM
Michael Horton

You DO realize that the majority of game reviewers wouldn't know a realistic
sim if it bit them in the ass right? Most of these guys come from the Need
for Speed genre of racing games.

oups.com...