1968 Pontiac GTO.

Old May 25th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Lostwave

Default 1968 Pontiac GTO.

Hey all. I just bought a Numbers Matching original '68 GTO.

I have a few questions about modifications.

Because it is an unmolested car, I don't want to detract from any
collectors ideals by changing it, but at the same time, I would like
to improve it in a few ways.

Do you think the following would lower the resale value:
Convert to disc brakes.
Convert to power windows.
Add headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds.

Any input would help,
thanks,
-J.

Old May 25th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
tranch

Why worry about "any collector's ideals," unless you plan on making it a
"Garage/Trailer Queen," and want it for investment purposes. Keep the old
drum brake parts, the old exhaust headers, the manual window parts and if
the next owner wants them he/she can replace them. Until then it's your car,
do as you like with it and enjoy it.

I've got a numbers matching 64 Chrysler 300 and the only stock thing
left on the car is the sheet metal. Other than that it's all brand new drive
train, suspension, brakes etc. Didn't buy the car for investment purposes,
bought it to drive, cruise and sometimes show. I'm enjoying my car, which
I've had now for 10 years, and don't worry about "collector's ideals."

oups.com...

Old May 26th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Lostwave wrote:

> Do you think the following would lower the resale value:
> Convert to disc brakes.
> Convert to power windows.
> Add headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds.

Yes to all.

George Patterson
If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess
to anything.
Old May 26th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
[email protected]

On 25 May 2007 13:06:16 -0700, Lostwave > wrote:

>Hey all. I just bought a Numbers Matching original '68 GTO.
>
>I have a few questions about modifications.
>
>Because it is an unmolested car, I don't want to detract from any
>collectors ideals by changing it, but at the same time, I would like
>to improve it in a few ways.

When that car was new, I was a Chrysler products fan. My
brother-in-law had a 69 GTO about two years later.

In 2007, the GTO is the one to look for. Congratulations on your
acquisition and enjoy the heck out of it. Now for the bad news:

1. I agree with you, that most or all of the mods you're considering
would benefit the car for driving purposes.

2. I regret I agree with the other writer, that any of the mods will
detract from the value of the car as a collector item.

You need to think long and hard which way you want to go. Whichever
you choose, somebody will disagree. Whichever you choose, you'll
always think about what would have happened if you had picked the
other. One perspective will say you can't win, but I disagree. If
you enjoy having the car, you will have won.

Good luck!
Old May 26th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

As a matter of personal choice, I prefer to keep collector automobiles
as stock as possible. If it were my car, the only modification that
you listed that I would do is the headers. It's a simple bolt on
procedure and easily changed back if desired. Having said that, you
have to decide why you bought the car in the first place and what you
want to do with it.

If, as another suggested, it was purely as an investment, then don't
make any changes to it at all. If you are going to drive it and enjoy
it, then do whatever makes you happy.

I drive a 1956 Cadillac Coupe De Ville as my daily transportation. It
has been restored to original mechanical condition. I am planning a
frame off, ground up restoration of the body and interior. By the time
I am finished with it, I'll have spent between $50,000 and $70,000 all
totaled. That's a lot more than this car is valued in most price
guides. On top of that, I will continue to use it as my only means of
transportation even though the first time I put it on the highway
after the restoration, it will drop from a "number 1" vehicle to a
"number 2".

That said, you can see that I didn't by this car as an investment and
I'm not worried about what other people might think about my "foolish
behaviour" (spending a fortune and driving it on cross country trips).
I'm doing it because I get an enormous amount pleasure driving it,
owning it, looking at it, etc.

So do whatever will suit your needs best with your GTO. Keep it stock
as an investment piece and double your money down the road or drive it
like there's no tomorrow and modify it any way you wish.

Old May 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
NoTop442

On May 25, 3:06 pm, Lostwave > wrote:
> Hey all. I just bought a Numbers Matching original '68 GTO.
>
> I have a few questions about modifications.
>
> Because it is an unmolested car, I don't want to detract from any
> collectors ideals by changing it, but at the same time, I would like
> to improve it in a few ways.
>
> Do you think the following would lower the resale value:
> Convert to disc brakes.
> Convert to power windows.
> Add headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds.
>
> Any input would help,
> thanks,
> -J.

Just keep all the old parts. And when you make a conversion do it
O.E.M. correct. Many buyers are cool with upgrades if they are
"correct."

NoTop442

visit us at http://www.cyrusnet.com/~notp442

Old May 26th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Marc Gerges

Lostwave > wrote:

> Do you think the following would lower the resale value:
> Convert to disc brakes.
> Convert to power windows.
> Add headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds.

I wouldn't care about things like resale value - either you can afford
it or you can't.

I wonder why you bought the car? If you wanted disc brakes, power
windows and other stuff - why not buy a car that has the stuff you like?

cu
.\\arc
Old May 27th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Otto Skorzeny wrote:
> As a matter of personal choice, I prefer to keep collector automobiles
> as stock as possible. If it were my car, the only modification that
> you listed that I would do is the headers. It's a simple bolt on
> procedure and easily changed back if desired.

Not really. Basic untuned headers may do ok and be reversible, but they won't
provide much, if any, benefit, and they will increase the flow of heat into the
exhaust system. They makes the floorboards hotter than normal. Tuned headers are
another ballgame; they usually increase horsepower around 10%. Unfortunately,
they take up more room under the hood, and in many cars, they require
modifications (usually cutting) to the inner fenders. I do not regard that as
something that's easily changed back. Many people simply remove the inner
fenders, which would be easy to change back. A friend of mine did that with his
'63 Impala. I don't know how easy that is to do with a GTO.

If you do go with tuned headers, be aware that you will probably have to rejet
the carb to get anything like the original gas mileage and improved performance.
Usually the engine runs rich with headers. Finding special jets for those old
carbs might be a problem.

Old May 27th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

NoTop442 wrote:

> Just keep all the old parts.

Keeping all the old parts still reduces the value for a collector. The buyer has
to pay someone to reverse the changes.

Old May 28th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
pnsman64

"Lostwave" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey all. I just bought a Numbers Matching original '68 GTO.
>
> I have a few questions about modifications.
>
> Because it is an unmolested car, I don't want to detract from any
> collectors ideals by changing it, but at the same time, I would like
> to improve it in a few ways.
>
> Do you think the following would lower the resale value:
> Convert to disc brakes.
> Convert to power windows.
> Add headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds.
>
> Any input would help,
> thanks,
> -J.

a 68 GTO!!!!! just my .02 it is only original once, leave it stock!