damage from too much oil?

Old March 11th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default damage from too much oil?

Arg, I'm not sure about some mechanics. Gotta hold some ppl's hands no
matter what, I'm afraid.

Had my oil changed 3 days ago, I supply my own and filter. Gave the dummy in
the shop a 5qt. Mobil1 bottle and a K&N gold filter. Got the car back,
expecting 1 qt left in the bottle. SC2 holds 4qts, actually a little less
with the smaller K&N filter. I should have been suspicious when I didn't get
anything back, I should have checked the oil immediately!

Guess where the other quart went? right, in the car with the other 4. I now
have 5qt of oil in my SC2 and have been driving back and forth to work for 3
days. I will have them drain the other qt out tomorrow ASAP. Hope nothing
got damaged, should I be worried?
--
marx404

Old March 12th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:27:07 -0500, BläBlä
. s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:

>Aside from the crank being slugged down, no not likely. Like Lane said,
>its better to be a little over the line than a little under.

I doubt that crank is even being slugged by oil. It usually takes at
least a 50 to 75% overfill before problems develop. They are not as
sensitive to overfill as some would leave you to believe. I would be
tempted to leave oil in there unless you as constantly winding it to
max RPM and creating extra windage in crankcase.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old March 12th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

I've been running a half to 3/4 of a quart over the full mark on the track
for years with no problems. I don't think I'd worry too much about a quart
on a street driven car.

Plus, the motor will "correct" that problem shortly, won't it? Seems that
most people have some oil consumption.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old March 13th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Thanks. Luckily, I have had no oil consumption issues on either this car or
my '94 SL2. I took it easy on the poor car and took it into the shop pronto
this morn. Had the dummies dump out the extra qt. I have checked it and so
far no problems. Maybe it's psycho-sematic butI can feel the difference
already.

--
marx404