radio changes station when news is broadcast

Old November 25th 09, 10:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bob[_52_]

Default radio changes station when news is broadcast

Help ??

I've got a 2002 MX5 iS and the radio is starting to drive me nuts !

I have the in-dash CD changer version and it has started to change
radio channels when news is broadcast - a bit like traffic
information- I must have pressed some magic sequence of buttons at
some point, but the manual doesn't mention automatically changing
channel to pick up the news. Does anyone know how to turn this
'feature' off please??

many thanks

Bob
Old November 25th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

> I have the in-dash CD changer version and it has started to change
> radio channels when news is broadcast -

You're in the test area for the new government "Information Improvement"
service. It's for your own good.

miker

Old November 25th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bob[_52_]

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:01:05 -0600, "miker" >
wrote:

>> I have the in-dash CD changer version and it has started to change
>> radio channels when news is broadcast -

>You're in the test area for the new government "Information Improvement"
>service. It's for your own good.
>
>miker

With this government ?

If they suppressed all news channels I could believe it.

I'm in the UK by the way, sorry I forgot to mention that , my bad...

Bob
Old November 25th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Bob wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:01:05 -0600, "miker" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I have the in-dash CD changer version and it has started to change
>>> radio channels when news is broadcast -

>> You're in the test area for the new government "Information Improvement"
>> service. It's for your own good.
>>
>> miker
>>

> With this government ?
>
> If they suppressed all news channels I could believe it.
>
> I'm in the UK by the way, sorry I forgot to mention that , my bad...

The radio in my 2003 UK car doesn't have the CD changer but it's
modular. I've seen the same stereo with a minidisc or casette player
where mine has a blank panel.

I'm sure I've switched some option on by accident in the past where it
tunes to a specific type of show of its own accord.

To switch it off was a challenge but somehow I got it to scroll through
a load of different types of programme and turn off. It was in the
manual somewhere.

Reading the manual for my car briefly reveals the feature is called PTY
and is detailed on page 6-30.

I suspect you want to turn it off. My Manual doesn't actually tell me
how to do that. If simply pressing the button doesn't work, try holding
it and/or then pressing the preset buttons, 1-6.

Good luck!

--
Douglas
Old November 27th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bob[_52_]

>Reading the manual for my car briefly reveals the feature is called PTY
>and is detailed on page 6-30.
>
>I suspect you want to turn it off. My Manual doesn't actually tell me
>how to do that. If simply pressing the button doesn't work, try holding
>it and/or then pressing the preset buttons, 1-6.

Hi Douglas
well, I read the pages again, and still don't see how they refer to
the problem I was having, but you are quite correct and the radio has
stopped jumping all over the spectrum when someone broadcasts the
news.

result

many thanks

Bob
Old November 27th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Bob wrote:
>> Reading the manual for my car briefly reveals the feature is called PTY
>> and is detailed on page 6-30.
>>
>> I suspect you want to turn it off. My Manual doesn't actually tell me
>> how to do that. If simply pressing the button doesn't work, try holding
>> it and/or then pressing the preset buttons, 1-6.
>>

> Hi Douglas
> well, I read the pages again, and still don't see how they refer to
> the problem I was having, but you are quite correct and the radio has
> stopped jumping all over the spectrum when someone broadcasts the
> news.

Any chance the feature was turned on by accident?

PTY scans the ether and looks for stations that are using RDS to tell
the world they are broadcasting 'news' or 'sport' or 'weather'. Your
car's radio then switches station to listen to the programme type you
have selected.

It's like the traffic news feature but with added annoyance value.

When it is switched on, my dad's Audi stereo beeps every 20 seconds or
so if it leaves an area that has RDS coverage, whether you are listening
to the radio or not. Now THAT's annoying. (c:

Glad you got it sorted.

--
Douglas