2002 rear end whine

Old November 27th 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 2002 rear end whine

Anything new on this? I can only find old posts. Mines getting worse
at 74,000 miles.
Has it led to any rear ends failing?
Old November 27th 05, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

i have a 95......bearings.....i had to pull the burnt ones out after
ford said everything looked good......

Old November 28th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Paul,

I have a 2002 with 58,000 miles on it and I just had this problem fixed. The
whine had gotten pretty darn loud. There is a technical service bulletin on
this, TSB#05-12-6. The TSB specifies a repair kit for the problem. It ended
up being a $1,400 repair. However, I did enough complaining to my service
manager that he got Ford to cover all but $275.00 of the repair.

From my understanding, the whine is coming from a bearing that has worn out.
I would imagine that if you let this go long enough, the bearing may cease
up and destroy more than just the diff.

Steve

Old December 3rd 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks for the replies. Definately do not want to pay $1400. Is there
somewhere on line I can see the TSB?
Old December 10th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I just had a bearing replaced in my 2002 explorer (44k miles) before
thanksgiving...the whine went away for a week (drove aobut 1k miles) --
now its back (don't think its as loud). Very distrubing...I'm going
to bring it back to ford
next week...

marty

Old December 17th 05, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have an 04.
Mine was replaced again 3 weeks ago . Whine returned within a week 150
miles.
Dealer says all the ones with the "new" replacement parts are starting to
show up with the noise again.
This is the second replacement for me with the "new" parts.

> Has it led to any rear ends failing?

Not that I have heard.

Old December 22nd 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

FYI. Evidently Ford has significantly changed the rear suspension
including the rear differential mounts for 2006 to improve lots of
things. I wonder if this will greatly reducing the whine complaints.
>From the press kit . . . . .

"Finally, the rear differential mounts of all 2006 Explorers have been
reconfigured for improved isolation, greater durability and reduced
NVH. The differential is suspended by four mounts: Two, close-set,
vertical mounts are connected to the front of the differential casing,
while two vertical mounts have a wider stance at the rear of the
casing. Like the legs of a table, these wide set mounts better
stabilize the differential, for improved isolation and durability."

I've always wondered if the increased incidence of whine complaints on
the 2002-2005 cars were caused by the way the differential is hung in
that IRS setup.