Gas: The good 'ol days

Old August 28th 05, 06:02 PM

Default Gas: The good 'ol days

It seemed like only yesterday!

http://www.geocities.com/~digitcam/njgas.jpg
Old August 28th 05, 07:35 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:02:17 -0400, wrote:

>It seemed like only yesterday!

http://www.geocities.com/~digitcam/njgas.jpg

Adjust the numbers on that sign for inflation.

These are STILL the good old days.

Old August 28th 05, 11:44 PM
SMS

> It seemed like only yesterday!

http://www.geocities.com/~digitcam/njgas.jpg

It wasn't all that long ago that we had sub $1 gasoline. Think back to
the last time we didn't have two oilmen in the White House.
Old August 29th 05, 12:05 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

SMS > wrote:

>It wasn't all that long ago that we had sub $1 gasoline. Think back to
>the last time we didn't have two oilmen in the White House.

Interesting how some people let emotion or political idology get in the way of
true facts.

For example, National Review shows that oil prices when adjusted for inflation
have been remarkably flat over the past 50 years, with the exception of when
Jimmy Carter left office. Shortly after Regan entered office, prices came back
down to their historical norm.

http://www.nationalreview.com/moore/...82803chart.asp
Old August 29th 05, 12:09 AM
The Real Bev

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:

> SMS > wrote:
>
> >It wasn't all that long ago that we had sub $1 gasoline. Think back to
> >the last time we didn't have two oilmen in the White House.

> Interesting how some people let emotion or political idology get in the way of
> true facts.
>
> For example, National Review shows that oil prices when adjusted for inflation
> have been remarkably flat over the past 50 years, with the exception of when
> Jimmy Carter left office. Shortly after Regan entered office, prices came back
> down to their historical norm.
>
> http://www.nationalreview.com/moore/...82803chart.asp

I understand that the prices of kneepads and cleaning fluid climbed
disastrously while Clinton was in office.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old August 29th 05, 12:19 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Old August 29th 05, 12:27 AM
Steve

The Real Bev > wrote:
>I understand that the prices of kneepads and cleaning fluid climbed
>disastrously while Clinton was in office.

Well, maybe kneepads. If Monica had used cleaning fluid, we coulda
been spared months of nonsense...

Old August 29th 05, 11:09 AM
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:02:17 -0400, wrote:
>
> >It seemed like only yesterday!

http://www.geocities.com/~digitcam/njgas.jpg

> Adjust the numbers on that sign for inflation.
>
> These are STILL the good old days.

I am not so sure. How is "inflation" determined? I can tell you that in
my case, I am earning less now than I was last year in real dollars due
in part to the increased cost of gas, but also my rent after I received
a ****ty annual raise. So, going by some poorly calculated inflation
number doesn't seem to impressive to me. Some oil companies are making
record profits this year. There has to be a reason for that.
Old August 29th 05, 02:40 PM
Larry Bud

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article >,
> Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:02:17 -0400, wrote:
> >
> > >It seemed like only yesterday!

http://www.geocities.com/~digitcam/njgas.jpg

> > Adjust the numbers on that sign for inflation.
> >
> > These are STILL the good old days.

> I am not so sure. How is "inflation" determined? I can tell you that in
> my case, I am earning less now than I was last year in real dollars due
> in part to the increased cost of gas, but also my rent after I received
> a ****ty annual raise.

Your earnings have nothing to do with the price of gas. Your earnings
are your earnings.

Here's an inflation calculator

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Old August 29th 05, 02:42 PM
Larry Bud

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> SMS > wrote:
>
> >It wasn't all that long ago that we had sub $1 gasoline. Think back to
> >the last time we didn't have two oilmen in the White House.

> Interesting how some people let emotion or political idology get in the way of
> true facts.
>
> For example, National Review shows that oil prices when adjusted for inflation
> have been remarkably flat over the past 50 years, with the exception of when
> Jimmy Carter left office. Shortly after Regan entered office, prices came back
> down to their historical norm.
>
> http://www.nationalreview.com/moore/...82803chart.asp

That chart is out of date, only until August 2003. Prices are about
30% higher now than a year ago.

"Remarkably" flat? Not sure how you can come to that conclusion.
Commodity levels don't stay flat.