Power to headlight switch

Old July 8th 05, 02:36 PM
L.A.

Default Power to headlight switch

Hey Guys,
This is probably simple but I can't seem to figure it out. My 1980 k20
headlights don't bave power to them. They, the tail lights and horn do
not work. The turn, brakes and hazard do. There are two orange wires
going to the switch in the same slot (not sure why), but there is no
power and tracing these is difficult as they are wrapped in tape with
several others. I did change the starter a few weeks ago, but I don't
remember if I needed the lights or if that is when the lost power. I
have checked the connection at the starter cellinoid(sp?) there is
power to where the wire is tapewraped to others, again difficult to
track. Is there a fuse or link in this wire? Possibly inside the wrap?
Where should this wire inter the cab? Any suggestions will be
appreciated Thanks,
L.A.

Old July 8th 05, 02:57 PM
N8N

L.A. wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> This is probably simple but I can't seem to figure it out. My 1980 k20
> headlights don't bave power to them. They, the tail lights and horn do
> not work. The turn, brakes and hazard do. There are two orange wires
> going to the switch in the same slot (not sure why), but there is no
> power and tracing these is difficult as they are wrapped in tape with
> several others. I did change the starter a few weeks ago, but I don't
> remember if I needed the lights or if that is when the lost power. I
> have checked the connection at the starter cellinoid(sp?) there is
> power to where the wire is tapewraped to others, again difficult to
> track. Is there a fuse or link in this wire? Possibly inside the wrap?
> Where should this wire inter the cab? Any suggestions will be
> appreciated Thanks,
> L.A.

Check your fuses first. I believe the orange wire goes back to the
fuse box.

good luck,

nate

Old July 8th 05, 05:37 PM
Mike Romain

That sounds like you missed hooking one wire back up to the solenoid.
The headlight circuit starts right there with a fuse link wire. The
fuse links hook onto the solenoid post and run for about 8" before they
crimp onto the harness with a fat rubber tube crimp connector.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 8th 05, 05:54 PM
Shep

Check the fusible links coming off the starter harness, most common cause of
this.
"L.A." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey Guys,
> This is probably simple but I can't seem to figure it out. My 1980 k20
> headlights don't bave power to them. They, the tail lights and horn do
> not work. The turn, brakes and hazard do. There are two orange wires
> going to the switch in the same slot (not sure why), but there is no
> power and tracing these is difficult as they are wrapped in tape with
> several others. I did change the starter a few weeks ago, but I don't
> remember if I needed the lights or if that is when the lost power. I
> have checked the connection at the starter cellinoid(sp?) there is
> power to where the wire is tapewraped to others, again difficult to
> track. Is there a fuse or link in this wire? Possibly inside the wrap?
> Where should this wire inter the cab? Any suggestions will be
> appreciated Thanks,
> L.A.

Power Window Switch [email protected] Honda 1 June 4th 05 01:50 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
F150 Headlight Switch Shaft Jeff C Technology 2 January 26th 05 07:11 PM
Headlight Switch? Randolph Honda 2 December 15th 04 07:00 AM
Ign Switch Failure examination 91 B3 dave VW water cooled 0 October 2nd 04 04:46 PM