extended warranty - prices? / should I?

Old March 15th 05, 04:49 PM
FTLOSM

Default extended warranty - prices? / should I?

When I bought my 2001 van new I extended the
warranty (at that time it was 3 /36,000) I did 5
yr 50,000 maxicare with a $50 deductable. It was
$800 from the dealership for that 5/50 bumper to
bumper plan and it seems to cover a lot of stuff
here.

I used the plan so far for tie rods and a few
other front end things, heater went out, power
door broke, needed new battery etc, besides the
deductables my only real costs were an alignment
and brake pads, so I sure can't complain much.

Well I am 4 years into this contract and just hit
46,000 miles, I still have about 12 months and
about 4,000 miles left (whichever comes first) on
the 5/50,000 plan... I took the van in to get my
rear heater checked out (blowing cold only) and
thought i should check into what it will cost to
extend it some more here...

The service dept of this dealer i liked, they seem
fast and reliable and cover most everything each
time i bring the car in, but the sales manager who
i sat down to talk to about this warranty
extension (to me anyways) seemed to be a huge
jerk... ok hes a jerk but i just wanted to get my
info on extending the warranty...

He says to stay with a $50 deductable, based on my
current info 46,000 miles 4 yrs into the warranty
I bought for $800 when I bought the van, to extend
me with that same coverage (maxicare $50 deduct,
for upto 100,000 miles would run me $3450.

That just seemed crazy to me (the amount) has
anyone else sat down before their extended service
warranty was expired and had that sort of a shock
at renewal prices or was this guy trying to
totally rob me (got the feeling he was a bigtime
jerko)....

Called another dealer (blind call) was gonna get
their price over phone for my details and info yet
haven't got a call back from them yet...

Bill

Old March 16th 05, 12:30 AM
James C. Reeves

I would imagine the cost would be quite a bit higher to cover the second 50K
miles compared to the 1st. But, I don't know if $3,500 is reasonable or
not.

Old March 16th 05, 12:30 AM
maxpower

"FTLOSM" > wrote in message
> When I bought my 2001 van new I extended the
> warranty (at that time it was 3 /36,000) I did 5
> yr 50,000 maxicare with a $50 deductable. It was
> $800 from the dealership for that 5/50 bumper to
> bumper plan and it seems to cover a lot of stuff
> here.
>
> I used the plan so far for tie rods and a few
> other front end things, heater went out, power
> door broke, needed new battery etc, besides the
> deductables my only real costs were an alignment
> and brake pads, so I sure can't complain much.
>
> Well I am 4 years into this contract and just hit
> 46,000 miles, I still have about 12 months and
> about 4,000 miles left (whichever comes first) on
> the 5/50,000 plan... I took the van in to get my
> rear heater checked out (blowing cold only) and
> thought i should check into what it will cost to
> extend it some more here...
>
> The service dept of this dealer i liked, they seem
> fast and reliable and cover most everything each
> time i bring the car in, but the sales manager who
> i sat down to talk to about this warranty
> extension (to me anyways) seemed to be a huge
> jerk... ok hes a jerk but i just wanted to get my
> info on extending the warranty...
>
> He says to stay with a $50 deductable, based on my
> current info 46,000 miles 4 yrs into the warranty
> I bought for $800 when I bought the van, to extend
> me with that same coverage (maxicare $50 deduct,
> for upto 100,000 miles would run me $3450.
>
> That just seemed crazy to me (the amount) has
> anyone else sat down before their extended service
> warranty was expired and had that sort of a shock
> at renewal prices or was this guy trying to
> totally rob me (got the feeling he was a bigtime
> jerko)....
>
> Called another dealer (blind call) was gonna get
> their price over phone for my details and info yet
> haven't got a call back from them yet...
>
> Bill

Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you a used contract with max
care coverage, get another opinion

Old March 16th 05, 01:33 AM
maxpower

"FTLOSM" > wrote in message
> Got the reply from the dealer i bought the car
> from (who is about 3 hours away now from me),
> based on my contract number, to extend it to the
> full 7 years (3.5 more years from todays date)
> upto 75,000 miles (or whichever comes first that 7
> yr mark or the 75,000 miles) it would be $2180, he
> said the term can't go past 7 years from my in
> service date of 08/01 so still about 3.5 years,
> but a 100,000 contract (again to stay the same as
> what I have) would be about $2800 which is STILL
> alot less than $3450 .
>
> We dont drive it that much so we may just go with
> the 75,000 thing for $2180ish that to me is
> reasonable....one big problem with a few minors
> over the next 3 years would pay for it most
> likely, as that original $800 plan paid for itself
> 2x over already for me.

> you a used contract with max
> > care coverage, get another opinion

That still sounds high, I got a 2003 Durango 4X4 fully loaded with a max
care "0" deductible and paid 2400.00 7 yrs 100k

Old March 16th 05, 02:33 AM
FTLOSM

Old March 16th 05, 08:31 PM
David

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "FTLOSM" > wrote in message
>> Got the reply from the dealer i bought the car
>> from (who is about 3 hours away now from me),
>> based on my contract number, to extend it to the
>> full 7 years (3.5 more years from todays date)
>> upto 75,000 miles (or whichever comes first that 7
>> yr mark or the 75,000 miles) it would be $2180, he
>> said the term can't go past 7 years from my in
>> service date of 08/01 so still about 3.5 years,
>> but a 100,000 contract (again to stay the same as
>> what I have) would be about $2800 which is STILL
>> alot less than $3450 .
>>
>> We dont drive it that much so we may just go with
>> the 75,000 thing for $2180ish that to me is
>> reasonable....one big problem with a few minors
>> over the next 3 years would pay for it most
>> likely, as that original $800 plan paid for itself
>> 2x over already for me.

>> you a used contract with max
>> > care coverage, get another opinion
>> > >

> That still sounds high, I got a 2003 Durango 4X4 fully loaded with a max
> care "0" deductible and paid 2400.00 7 yrs 100k

Why would a Mechanic at a Chrysler dealer buy an extended service contract?

Old March 16th 05, 09:15 PM
maxpower

"David" > wrote in message
newsI0_d.71958$Tt.54958@fed1read05...

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "FTLOSM" > wrote in message
> >> Got the reply from the dealer i bought the car
> >> from (who is about 3 hours away now from me),
> >> based on my contract number, to extend it to the
> >> full 7 years (3.5 more years from todays date)
> >> upto 75,000 miles (or whichever comes first that 7
> >> yr mark or the 75,000 miles) it would be $2180, he
> >> said the term can't go past 7 years from my in
> >> service date of 08/01 so still about 3.5 years,
> >> but a 100,000 contract (again to stay the same as
> >> what I have) would be about $2800 which is STILL
> >> alot less than $3450 .
> >>
> >> We dont drive it that much so we may just go with
> >> the 75,000 thing for $2180ish that to me is
> >> reasonable....one big problem with a few minors
> >> over the next 3 years would pay for it most
> >> likely, as that original $800 plan paid for itself
> >> 2x over already for me.

> >> you a used contract with max
> >> > >

> > That still sounds high, I got a 2003 Durango 4X4 fully loaded with a

max
> > care "0" deductible and paid 2400.00 7 yrs 100k

> Why would a Mechanic at a Chrysler dealer buy an extended service

contract?

The same reason why my father, being a doctor has health Insurance. 3 yrs
isn't a long time for a warranty, So I extended it. I have gotten use out
of every service contract I purchased, and came out ahead.. The Nav radio I
just installed list for 1500.00, Now covered under the contract, some of
the controllers for these vehicles will make you cry if you had to buy them.
I will say this, if your gonna buy a contract, buy from the manufacturer

Old March 18th 05, 10:25 PM
James C. Reeves

"FTLOSM" > wrote in message
> Got the reply from the dealer i bought the car
> from (who is about 3 hours away now from me),
> based on my contract number, to extend it to the
> full 7 years (3.5 more years from todays date)
> upto 75,000 miles (or whichever comes first that 7
> yr mark or the 75,000 miles) it would be $2180, he
> said the term can't go past 7 years from my in
> service date of 08/01 so still about 3.5 years,
> but a 100,000 contract (again to stay the same as
> what I have) would be about $2800 which is STILL
> alot less than $3450 .
>
> We dont drive it that much so we may just go with
> the 75,000 thing for $2180ish that to me is
> reasonable....one big problem with a few minors
> over the next 3 years would pay for it most
> likely, as that original $800 plan paid for itself
> 2x over already for me.

Service warranty contracts are just a piece of mind thing. The odds are
that you'll loose money on them. Still, I always buy them However, in the
30 years I've been buying cars, the service warranty/contract only paid for
itself twice. One time was on a 1978 Ford LTD. The 3/36 extended warranty
(the base was 12 months 12,00 miles back then) was $181. At 26K miles I
needed the tranny rebuilt and that was $300. So that one paid for itself.
Went through 3-4 cars without any real problems until I got to a 1987 Grand
Caravan. It went through two or three Air Conditioning compressors.
Needless to say, the extended warranty paid for itself there too. Been
through 4-5 or more cars since then (me, wife and kids) and so far the
warranty has not been needed for repairs to nearly to the level of what they
cost to get. The closest was a 1997 Neon Sport...which had a head gasket
failure. The $700 or so for that was still less than the warranty contract
that paid for it....but it was close

But if you think about it...it makes sense. The warranty companies would
loose money if they paid out more then they took in. So the odds are
*statistically* against you from a $$$ standpoint. BUT, it's like
insurance. Nice when something REALLY big hits!

Extended Warranty on 94 Vette. [email protected] Corvette 1 February 1st 05 12:10 AM
Extended auto warranty in California chris General 0 January 18th 05 06:47 PM
extended warranty? JJ Audi 3 December 22nd 04 02:14 AM
Extended Warranty Tom BMW 2 December 15th 04 12:37 AM
Extended warranty Ian D BMW 0 September 20th 04 02:52 AM