temp guage (gage) dead

Old January 12th 05, 03:18 AM
cK

Default temp guage (gage) dead

Temp guage was acting funny. For awhilw it would read normal at running
temp then it would read "zero" or stone cold. Periodically back to normal
then fluctuating back to resting position. Now it's seems totally dead.

Replaced sending unit, no change. Once in a blue moon it will read normal
but less than 5% of the time.

Fluid is topped up. Doesn't seem characteristic of a bad thermostat. What
gives?

Old January 12th 05, 03:46 AM
Jim Warman

On the '62 Chev, the temperature gauge system is quite simple.... not a '62
Chevy?? Then I guess we need some more info. I will apologize in advance for
my brashness... Systems have changed greatly since the birth of the
Explorer..... the birthday of yours may mean a difference in diagnostic
procedure.

. ..

Old January 13th 05, 12:54 AM
cK

Sorry I forgot to mention it's a '95.

news41Fd.83419$dv1.59927@edtnps89...

Old January 14th 05, 02:23 AM

cK wrote:
> Temp guage was acting funny. For awhilw it would read normal at

running
> temp then it would read "zero" or stone cold. Periodically back to

normal
> then fluctuating back to resting position. Now it's seems totally

dead.

That's interesting. I have a 95 Explorer doing the exact same thing.

I'm convinced that it's an intermittent short or loose connection
somewhere. The gauge is constantly jumping up and down from zero to
normal. When it goes down to zero, my check gauge light comes on.