ABS and Brake light on '99 Passat

Old October 22nd 04, 07:30 PM
wjcimbri

Default ABS and Brake light on '99 Passat

Hi, I have a question to the group. I brought my '99 Passat in the shop
yesterday because the ABS and Brake light goes off and alarms for up to two
minutes, then goes off. This happens maybe 2 to 4 times a week. I brought it
to my local VW dealer, who I have a good report with, and it turns out that
I have a few bad connections on the back of the instrument cluster, and a
faulty cluster. It is going to cost me $700.00 to fix. Granted this is my
first "problem" with this car after 95,000 miles, but to have a cluster go
bad? My service writer said this happens from time to time. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Weldon Cimbrik
'99 Passat 1.8T 5spd
'99 Beetle 2.0 5spd

Old October 22nd 04, 10:01 PM
Woodchuck

What was the fault codes? The I will answer!

. net...

Old October 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
wjcimbri

According to VW, there were no codes. They said that the ABS pump and module
were OK.

Old November 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Kurt Telep

wjcimbri wrote:
> According to VW, there were no codes. They said that the ABS pump and module
> were OK.
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>
>>What was the fault codes? The I will answer!
>>
>>"wjcimbri" > wrote in message
v.net...

>>>Hi, I have a question to the group. I brought my '99 Passat in the shop
>>>yesterday because the ABS and Brake light goes off and alarms for up to
>>>two
>>>minutes, then goes off. This happens maybe 2 to 4 times a week. I

> brought
>
>>>it
>>>to my local VW dealer, who I have a good report with, and it turns out
>>>that
>>>I have a few bad connections on the back of the instrument cluster, and

>>>faulty cluster. It is going to cost me $700.00 to fix. Granted this is

> my
>
>>>first "problem" with this car after 95,000 miles, but to have a cluster

> go
>
>>>bad? My service writer said this happens from time to time. Has anyone
>>>else
>>>experienced this?
>>>
>>>Weldon Cimbrik
>>>'99 Passat 1.8T 5spd
>>>'99 Beetle 2.0 5spd

I know it sounds rudimentary, but did they check the front brake pads
for wear? I've had my ABS light come on when they were getting *close*
to hitting the wear wires.
Old November 10th 04, 12:36 AM
wjcimbri

Hi, rudimentary or not, I did check the pads, and ABS wheel sensors. They
just fixed it last week again. I guess it was not the cluster, they replaced
the ABS pump and module. I did demand a discount for the second repair. I
got them to take off $350.00. The cluster cost me $300.00. Not bad, and it
seems to be fixed!

Weldon Cimbrik
'99 Passat 1.8T 5spd
'99 Beetle 2.0 5spd