I've inherited 3 stationary engines: John Deere, Fairbanks Morse, & IH - McCormick Deering

Old April 6th 04, 01:29 AM
rob

Default I've inherited 3 stationary engines: John Deere, Fairbanks Morse, & IH - McCormick Deering

Hi All,

Sorry for cross-posting - I have no idea where else to look for info...

I've just inherited 3 stationary engines from my grandfather - a John Deere,
an IH McCormick Deering (with original owners manual & spare fuel tank), and
a Fairbanks Morse. They were all in (seemingly good) running condition as of
2 years ago - the JD & IH were fairly recently restored. I really know
nothing about these things & I will probably end up selling two of them. The
JD was his favorite and most recently restored, so I suspect I'll keep that
one. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Approximate value? Pointers on
where to look for more information?

Here are some pics:

http://members.shaw.ca/clarkr/

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Old April 6th 04, 02:41 AM
graphicsguy

"rob" > wrote in message news:%Rmcc.33005$oR5.3063@pd7tw3no...
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for cross-posting - I have no idea where else to look for info...
>
> I've just inherited 3 stationary engines from my grandfather - a John

Deere,
> an IH McCormick Deering (with original owners manual & spare fuel tank),

and
> a Fairbanks Morse. They were all in (seemingly good) running condition as

of
> 2 years ago - the JD & IH were fairly recently restored. I really know
> nothing about these things & I will probably end up selling two of them.

The
> JD was his favorite and most recently restored, so I suspect I'll keep

that
> one. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Approximate value? Pointers

on
> where to look for more information?
>
> Here are some pics:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/clarkr/
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Rob

typing "stationary engines " into google resulted in enough links to sites
of interest to keep one reading for weeks.

greg

Old April 6th 04, 11:16 AM
Colin Osborne

Hi --

Looks as 'tho your on the WC USA. This site is UK.

Suggest search Google for the following US sites.
Try ATIS, or "Harry's stationary engines". The
first is an active forum with many knowledgeable
types, including experts on these manafacturers.
The second is a general site with a "for sale"
section.

One tip is to check all the engines for their
manufacturers tags. These are usually metal
plates attached to each engine in a visible
location. If you find them, they will usually
give you a model number & horsepower, & often
a makers serial number (& occasionally year of
manufacture).

If you find no tags, you may find numbers stamped
into components. If the same number appears a few
times, that's likely to be the serial. You may also
find raised casting numbers, but they usually give
limited clues on identity.

Quote all of that info for each engine in your
request for info. It gives "those who know"
each manufacturer a much better idea of what
you have.

Each of your manufacturers have common & very
rare engines. Good luck.

Colin
Old April 6th 04, 04:48 PM
Steve

Rob,
I just got into the stationary engine hobby myself. Its a very active
hobby and has been for years. All of the engines you have are
common and would be worth about $500-$1,000 each
assuming they are complete, original, and don't have any
serious defects (cracks in the cylenders, broken parts, etc.).

Consider keeping them. Watching them run is a blast!

Steve