99 Explorer-Airbag dash light

Old December 22nd 05, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 99 Explorer-Airbag dash light

After starting the engine, the dash airbag light goes off, then flashes 3
times, then flashes 6 times and does this thru 6 cycles and then the
airbag light stays on continously. When you start the engine the next
time, the above cycle repeats. Anyone help with the cause and cure? Thank
you

Old December 22nd 05, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

36 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition
36 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
36 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance High .
36 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

To be sure which one you need the dtc that comes with it

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 22nd 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I had a similar problem. I know the first was 3 flashes then 6 or 7. I
lowered the drivers power seat and it is fine now ....... with the seat
up, down or anyplace else.
YMMV

Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.

Old December 23rd 05, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

You mean you believ that moving the seat can "fix" something like this?

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is safety stuff.... the kind of
stuff that can make the difference between us going home in a taxi or going
home in an urn.... It's just amazing to me that folks treat this stuff with
such a cavalier attitude.

I sincerely hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday...... I
sincerely hope that nobady "needs" to use the safety devices they bought and
paid for.... if these devices are needed, I sincerely hope they function in
the intended manner.

Afterthought.... since we bought these devices along with the machine we
like to think is a car (and thus NOT a machine), would it not be prudent to
have concerns checked by a competent technician? FWIW... if it comes down to
fixing a safety related symptom or buying a gift for Aunt Aggie.... fixing
the safety related symptom may help insure that we survive long enough to
buy Aunt Aggie many, many gifts in the future.

Old December 23rd 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks very much for all the help. I found a loose connection in the wiring
harness under the drivers power seat. This did indeed fix the problem with
the airbag sensor connected to the drivers seat and was the cause of the
dash warning light coming on.

I wish I had found this website 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I paid a local
Ford dealer $279.00 to diagnose and replace my IAC valve causing cold
start up problems in which the engine would start but then die. Again
thank you for the help. Dennis