1998 explorer 4wd 4.0 6 cyclinder,auto trans

Old December 18th 05, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1998 explorer 4wd 4.0 6 cyclinder,auto trans

I bought 98 explorer, ran perfect for 3 or for days then in the morning
it would not start, it would start up and then if you hit the gas it
would die, then it would turn over fine but not start. Could it be the
igniter, or fuel pump or what else. regards david

Old December 19th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Google the idle air control (IAC) problem and you will find all kinds
of information about cause and how to fix.

Old December 20th 05, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I believe his problem is different. He says when he hits the gas, the
engine dies. Usually the car would run with the foot on the gas even
with a defective IAC valve.

Try to start the truck with the foot a little on the gas. If it does
start, but dies once you take your foot off the gas, then its probably
the IAC valve, which can be removed and cleaned or replaced easily.
If however you cannot start it check the basics first. Listen for the
fuel pump, check for spark, etc.

1991 Explorer Trans mike Ford Explorer 0 December 5th 05 07:14 PM
96 Explorer trans john Ford Explorer 0 November 13th 05 10:09 PM
02 explorer rear end and trans questions. Rob Ford Explorer 4 June 10th 05 08:10 PM
auto trans won't downshift to 1st gear on 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC KI0FT Ford Explorer 3 December 23rd 04 01:02 AM
1998 ford explorer sport console? luk84 Ford Explorer 2 December 2nd 04 06:31 PM