No Start Condition 2002 LW200

Old May 24th 05, 11:24 PM
snapperhead

Default No Start Condition 2002 LW200

Any help appreciated. My LW200 is in a no start situation. Last evening my
wife called to inform me that the car wouldn't start. I drove to her
location, turned the key and the car started. She drove about one mile to
our home and parked the car. Today the car won't start, won't fire.
There is no fuel pressure at the test valve and I can't hear the fuel pump
turn on. There is a quarter tank registering on the fuel gage and the trip
meter indicates about 315 miles since last fill up. (I thought of adding gas
but I'm hesitant because the tank must be removed if fuel pump is bad.)
There are no trouble codes displayed on my code reader.
Any guesses?
Anybody know how to bypass the fuel pump relay?
Thanks in advance.

Old May 25th 05, 12:09 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article <EQNke.591$5f3.408@trndny03>,
"snapperhead" > wrote:

> Anybody know how to bypass the fuel pump relay?

Check the fuse, too.

I bet the FPR is the same as another relay, like Horn, or A/C. if they
are, you can swap the two and see if the problem 'moves' with the relay.
if so, there's your answer...
Old May 25th 05, 01:21 AM
snapperhead

I checked all the fuses under the hood (Fuel Pump, EIS, IGN, Injector). I
pulled out the Fuel Pump Relay and checked for voltage at the #30 terminal.
No voltage.
Your idea of changing relays is a good one. I'll try it but I suspect that
something, either the CKP (crank position sensor, or something else is
preventing the relay from working.
I'd like to get some juice to the fuel pump so I can eliminate that as a
problem???
Thanks for the response.

Old May 25th 05, 02:28 AM
Bob Shuman

Another thought that can confirm your diagnosis of no fuel is to remove the
air cleaner tube and spray some ether/starting fluid down the throttle body
and then try to start it again. If it fires up and then dies you can
confirm your diagnosis of no fuel. If no fuel, then it could be the ASD
relay, the fuel pump, or the wiring to/between these.

Bob

Old May 25th 05, 02:43 AM
snapperhead

Another good suggestion that I'll try. What is an ASD Relay?

Old May 25th 05, 12:28 PM
Bob Shuman

Auto Shut Down, this is the fuel pump relay. If the vehicle fails to start
within a reasonable time, then the computer disables the fuel pump.

Old May 26th 05, 06:56 PM
snapperhead

Well, I think I narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump.
I sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body and it fired up. That
pretty much eliminates the crank sensor and the main computer.
I can't get dealer or shop to touch it until at least Tuesday so I'm going
to attempt the repair myself. $302 for a new pump from the dealer.
Any tips or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

Old May 26th 05, 11:24 PM
Bob Shuman

I'd check the fuel rail itself to see if you have any pressure first, then
assuming no fuel pressure, I'd check the voltage to the pump before going
into the tank for replacement. It could be a connector, relay, wiring... A
good schematic of the circuit seems to be a requirement and then just see
where you lose the voltage ... if the pump is getting voltage, but not
functioning, then it is likely the pump. Good luck.

Old May 27th 05, 02:31 AM
snapperhead

Well, here's the latest with the no start condition.
I was all set to change the fuel pump and I decided to take your advice and
check voltages again.
I got a good diagram from a gentleman on a Saturn Forum.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/
Previously I'd checked all the critical fuses for continuity but I decided
to check again. The fuel pump fuse 15A was blown. I put in a spare and the
car fired up and has been running since.
As pleased as I am about the car starting, I'm a bit concerned that the fuse
wasn't blown originally but occurred as a result of probing and jumpering
the electrical system.
The guy at the Saturn Dealership told me to bang on the tank with a rubber
hammer. I'm wondering if this freed up the pump? He said that sometimes it
works but that the fix doesn't last long?
And if I didn't cause the fuse to blow, I'm wondering what did?
Not sure if I can trust it for now but I'm happy just the same that it's
starting.
Thanks for you help. Happy ending for now.
Snappa