87 325is issue...

Old March 9th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 87 325is issue...

My son's 87 325is has developed an issue and I'm hoping for some
solid advice on where to look. I'll be putting it up on a lift
tomorrow and hope I can find the problem but I'm looking for advice
here. The car has developed what I can only describe as a hop type
vibration in the drivetrain. I can compare it to a u-joint vibration
but it's more intense. Things I'll be looking at tomorrow are the
guibo's and the axle half shafts. I know they have a CV joint in them
but I've never seen one do this. I also have a jingling coming from
the front tire but since the ABS light came on today I think the ABS
ring has come off the hub. I've heard people talk about this...
Thanks...
Old March 9th 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Psycho wrote:
> My son's 87 325is has developed an issue and I'm hoping for some
> solid advice on where to look. I'll be putting it up on a lift
> tomorrow and hope I can find the problem but I'm looking for advice
> here. The car has developed what I can only describe as a hop type
> vibration in the drivetrain. I can compare it to a u-joint vibration
> but it's more intense. Things I'll be looking at tomorrow are the
> guibo's and the axle half shafts. I know they have a CV joint in them
> but I've never seen one do this. I also have a jingling coming from
> the front tire but since the ABS light came on today I think the ABS
> ring has come off the hub. I've heard people talk about this...
> Thanks...

I think you will find it is the guibo. When that goes it can cause a
large offset in the driveline. It might also be one of the U joints,
but not likely the center joint as that would just cause the floor of
the car to shake. I'm sure it will be obvious when you start poking
around...

--
-Fred W
Old March 9th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Fred W wrote:

> I think you will find it is the guibo. When that goes it can cause a
> large offset in the driveline. It might also be one of the U joints,
> but not likely the center joint as that would just cause the floor of
> the car to shake. I'm sure it will be obvious when you start poking
> around...

While I usually suspect the center bearing carrier *first*. It doesn't
much matter. Whenever you replace one of these, it usually makes sense
to replace both. They're both cheap and easy. They are also much more
likely culprits than anything having to do with either the U joint or
the half shafts.

BTW, unless the E30 is different from the E28, if it has an automatic
transmission, it will have no guibo.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

P.S.: If you're not familiar with the term, 'guibo' is the flexible
rubber disk (also referred to as a 'flex disk') at the rear end of the
transmission that links the driveshaft to the output flange.

Old March 9th 06, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I think there is a shaft extension on the transmission that engages a
bushing in the driveshaft to assure proper alignment of the driveshaft
regardless of the condition of the guibo. I suppose the bushing could be
damaged but I haven't seen that happen. Psycho, could you try to explain
what you mean by hop type vibration? At what speeds is it apparent? Is
there any accompanying noise?
I had an experience on my 318i where it developed a vibration that seemed
to be at the same frequency as the drive shaft rotation. It was most
pronounced at about 35 mph where the car 'sounded like a pickup truck with
snow tires on it'. After removing the drive shaft and finding nothing wrong
I discovered the problem to be a front wheel bearing. The balls rolling
over the dent in the inner race just happened to be at the same frequency as
the drive shaft and the impulse was resonating with the coil spring
producing quite a loud noise.
Anyway good luck finding it.
Jack

Old March 9th 06, 08:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:51:58 -0500, Fred W
> wrote:

>Psycho wrote:
>> My son's 87 325is has developed an issue and I'm hoping for some
>> solid advice on where to look. I'll be putting it up on a lift
>> tomorrow and hope I can find the problem but I'm looking for advice
>> here. The car has developed what I can only describe as a hop type
>> vibration in the drivetrain. I can compare it to a u-joint vibration
>> but it's more intense. Things I'll be looking at tomorrow are the
>> guibo's and the axle half shafts. I know they have a CV joint in them
>> but I've never seen one do this. I also have a jingling coming from
>> the front tire but since the ABS light came on today I think the ABS
>> ring has come off the hub. I've heard people talk about this...
>> Thanks...

>I think you will find it is the guibo. When that goes it can cause a
>large offset in the driveline. It might also be one of the U joints,
>but not likely the center joint as that would just cause the floor of
>the car to shake. I'm sure it will be obvious when you start poking
>around...

Well, my suspicions (and all of yours) were correct. The guibo had
basically self destructed on me. Looks like I'll be going back to the
BMW dealership tomorrow to get a guibo ($70) and most likely a center
carrier bearing ($??). Can't see replacing one without the other and I
missed the cutoff for getting it the Bavarian Autosport for delivery
tomorrow...
Old March 15th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Psycho wrote:

> Well, my suspicions (and all of yours) were correct. The guibo had
> basically self destructed on me. Looks like I'll be going back to the
> BMW dealership tomorrow to get a guibo ($70) and most likely a center
> carrier bearing ($??).

The center carrier bearing is ~$35 or so, IIRC. Frankly, both together
are probably less to repair than what you were suspecting. Glad we
could be of assistance.

BTW, if you're doing much dealershhip service, you really ought to be
in BMW CCA. Very few dealers do not offer at least a 10-15% club
discount on everything.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 17th 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

The dealer here wanted $115 for the carrier bearing assembly. I
replaced the bearing itself (not the whole unit) for $17. Don't really
do much dealer stuff as my car is older and they don't really have
much for it.

Old March 17th 06, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Psycho wrote:
> The dealer here wanted $115 for the carrier bearing assembly. I
> replaced the bearing itself (not the whole unit) for $17.

Huh? How'd you do *that*? ISTR it's all one piece and the bearing is
bonded to the rubber web of the carrier. I can believe you got a good
deal on the whole thing, since I paid about the same amount for my last
one. I'm a little stunned at the dealer price unless it includes
installation.

> Don't really
> do much dealer stuff as my car is older and they don't really have
> much for it.

You've got the wrong dealer. Get thee over to MyE28.com and find Brian
Da Parts Pimp. Parts guy at BMW of Chattanooga who can and will get
you anything BMW has anywhere worldwide - at the best possible price.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 21st 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 17 Mar 2006 12:36:33 -0800, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:

>Psycho wrote:
>> The dealer here wanted $115 for the carrier bearing assembly. I
>> replaced the bearing itself (not the whole unit) for $17.

>Huh? How'd you do *that*? ISTR it's all one piece and the bearing is
>bonded to the rubber web of the carrier. I can believe you got a good
>deal on the whole thing, since I paid about the same amount for my last
>one. I'm a little stunned at the dealer price unless it includes
>installation.

If it had included installation, they'd have had the job! The actual
bearing sits in a cup that's bonded to the rubber. It's held in by a
lock ring.

>> Don't really
>> do much dealer stuff as my car is older and they don't really have
>> much for it.

>You've got the wrong dealer. Get thee over to MyE28.com and find Brian
>Da Parts Pimp. Parts guy at BMW of Chattanooga who can and will get
>you anything BMW has anywhere worldwide - at the best possible price.

I'll be doing that as I'm in need of a few parts that I'd rather get
new if possible. Thanks!!!