stop signs

Old February 25th 05, 09:38 AM
Magnulus

Default stop signs

In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection (I would
only put it on the bottom leg of the T). Are drivers too stupid to realize
what yielding is, why do they have to resort to this pathetic hand holding
of putting stopsigns everywhere? And alot of the time there's a cop there,
so to me I think it's nothing but a trap. Because you never see any of the
speeders out on the road being busted, probably too much work compared to
just parking behind a stopsign and waiting. Without the stopsign, a driver
could cruise right down the street without having to stop, idle the engine,
and waste fuel accelerating again.

I also see alot of stop signs in parking lots recently.

I think I know why Americans have such a hard time understanding the
concept of a roundabout. There aren't little signals and stop signs
everywhere.

Old February 25th 05, 05:19 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:38:25 -0500, "Magnulus"
> wrote:

> In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
>neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
>intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection (I would
>only put it on the bottom leg of the T). Are drivers too stupid to realize
>what yielding is, why do they have to resort to this pathetic hand holding
>of putting stopsigns everywhere?

presumably you've taken a driver's license test and observed idiots on
the road, so I should think the answer to that question is painfully
obvious.

> And alot of the time there's a cop there,
>so to me I think it's nothing but a trap. Because you never see any of the
>speeders out on the road being busted,

Good! Running a stop sign is MUCH more dangerous than speeding.

>probably too much work compared to
>just parking behind a stopsign and waiting.

Not really.

>Without the stopsign, a driver
>could cruise right down the street without having to stop, idle the engine,
>and waste fuel accelerating again.

True

> I also see alot of stop signs in parking lots recently.

They can be ignored, although if you cause an accident, you could be
liable for damages.

> I think I know why Americans have such a hard time understanding the
>concept of a roundabout.

'cuz there are hardly ANY roundabouts.

Old February 25th 05, 05:25 PM
Dave C.

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
> neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
> intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection

Many neighborhoods have resorted to stop signs on every corner of every
intersection. It ****es people off a lot less than speed bumps, and has the
same effect. They are not there for the intersection, they are there to
slow you down approaching and leaving the intersection. Thus it keeps your
average speed down. That is the point of it. -Dave

Old February 25th 05, 05:51 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:
> In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
>neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
>intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection (I would
>only put it on the bottom leg of the T).

This is "traffic calming". You should like it, being against speed
and all. It's meant to slow people down and prevent them from using
neighborhood roads.

Of course, eventually what will happen is people who live in the
neighborhood will start running the things as a matter of course.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 25th 05, 11:19 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> This is exactly what happens when you have people who know nothing about
> traffic deciding where to put up stop signs and speed bumps.

....and how to set speed limits, and how to time traffic lights...
Old February 26th 05, 02:02 AM
Magnulus

I hate speed bumps. Driving over them with a hard VW suspension sucks,
and it can't be good for it.

Old February 26th 05, 02:05 AM
Nate Nagel

Magnulus wrote:

> I hate speed bumps. Driving over them with a hard VW suspension sucks,
> and it can't be good for it.

If you think your Jetta wagon's suspension is hard, I'd hate to think
what you'd think of my 944 (all stock, 15" wheels, and not even the
sport package.) The Jetta is a little fluffy marshmallow cloud of a
car. What did you drive before, a Chevy?

nate

(I'm really not busting on you, honest, but it's obvious that we have
two entirely different ideas of what a suspension should feel like.)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 26th 05, 12:20 PM
Magnulus

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>The Jetta is a little fluffy marshmallow cloud of a
> car. What did you drive before, a Chevy?

Something like that.